antenna connection

cableman

We were out over the weekend and couldn't seem to pick up any channels on over the air tv antenna. I know it used to work and pick up channels. Did any one ever have this sortof issue with theirs. We have an '09 north trail 5ver.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Third big question if you booster has selector switches was the air switch selected?

SmokeyBare

One more Question.

Were there others in the campground that were able to get OVER the AIR channels on their TV? Digital works well with a good line of sight signal, but unlike the old analog signal, it does not reach out to everyone and every place.

Marv

beardedone

Beardedone
Interesting question. The US has gone to the new broadcasting system and I thought you had to have some kind of "box" to install in order to receive a signal. I am curious about this because Canada will be be following suit next year. I thought that if you didn't buy a box then you wouldn't get a signal. I guess that leads to the question that if a "box" is needed then is the RV industry installing them? We spent a week in Idaho recently and I didn't even bother to put the antenna up!

SmokeyBare

The TV's being put in Heartland RV's are Digital Ready, although I'm not sure if their very first units out the door were as well.

For those who owned TV's that were not digital ready, there was a box that was attached to the antenna that converted the signal and made it work. We were offered a coupon that brought down the cost of buying the converter box.
As I understand, Digital over the air signal does not do curves. It's a straight line Signal. So what ever is in the way will block the signal. I've even had issues with dense foliage from trees that affected the signal, the TV Picture would pixilate and become distorted or even freeze frame until it would once again work.

porthole

Retired
When analog stations were the norm it was easy to find a channel and then adjust your antenna to lock in the signal. Digital signals typically won't give you a picture until your antenna is adjusted, that makes picking the initial aiming rather tedious.

There is a website that can give you the general angle to aim antenna based on your zip code, but I don't have it stored on this laptop.

k-f-Indiana

It's antennaweb.org/aw/Stations/aspx , or at least this is the one we use that we got from some other RVers.

cableman

OK, I went out and tried it this morning. Tightened the conections on the antenna, and removed wall plate and tightened those connectors. The tv picked up a couple of channels here at home. It was kinda oddthat 2 seperate campgrounds and we had no pics, but we pick up some channls at home. I did have the booster on, and the tv was programmed correctly. At the campgrounds other people had there antennas up but I didn't talk to anyone, we were really secluded, (nice campground huge sites). Thanks for the help, it was greatly appreciated.