Low Voltage Problem from my home's power system??

sdagro

Had all the mods . done for my fridge in my 3670 at dealer a few days ago. Unit worked at dealer but not at home. My question is this. My voltage at home where I have 5ver plugged in is running 109-110. Also, have a 30A adapter on the end of my 50A cord with a 15A adapter to that. Only thing on is fridge. Is this low enough to effect performance of fridge. This is the only variable that I can attribute it to. I've been told that 120v should be at least 118v at the source. Please reply. Steve A. Dagro

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Low Voltage Problem??

What is your normal house voltage? Is it 110V and is the BH the only thing on the circuit? Most areas run closer to 118 - 120V. Try measuring the voltage actually being supplied to the fridge at the outlet for it. Could be with the adapters and line cord, coupled with the low starting voltage, that the voltage drop is too much. For comparison, my surge suppressor monitor says the CG voltage is typically 120V, but the display has gone as low as 114V without anything shutting off. Unfortunately, the manual does not give safe operating voltage ranges.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Steve, the 109 volts is close to the low voltage cut off point, meaning that if it goes too much lower it could cause damage. I think that your refer should run ok at that voltage. Remember, I said I think.
When you took this voltage reading was the refer running, or was it before you turned it on? If it was off, the voltage would drop when it is running. Was anything else running? Your converter comes to mind.
Does it cool on LP? What temps do you get? How much time did you give it to cool? Is it working at all?
It does take a long time to cool to the desired temp.
You could run an extension cord to the refer plug and bypass all else in the coach. I would use a 12 guage wire extension cord.
I hope some of my thoughts help.
Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

sdagro

I unplugged refer and checked voltage at receptacle behind refer. Also converter was on. Voltage runs fairly low in my area. Checked it at 5pm. wasn't here to check it this morning. Fridge finally got down to 36 degrees by 5:30 this morning. Talked to tech and he said in the heat we are having it can take as much as 12 hrs. to get down to operating temp. Haven't check it since 5:30am. Will go out and check it in a few. Thought of hooking up and moving to a receptacle with slightly higher voltage and just plug into ext. as you suggested. Have an electrician coming over today to check into running heavier wires to my commercial kitchen which the 50A plug will be attached to. My kitchen was built mid 80's and am still running off of a 60A breaker from my house box. Have outgrown that several years ago but hadn't got serious til it effected the RV:eek:. Now it's time to upgrade. Thanks for all your thoughts.. Steve A. Dagro

I WILL POST AN UPDATE LATER.

120 volts is the accepted standard. I had a similar low voltage condition at my house a few years ago (I was getting 108 volts at the panel), I call Virginia Power and they came out, took some readings and replaced my 25 kw pole transformer a few days later. I now get a consistent 120/240 volts.

John

Willym

To answer the original question, a small drop in voltage will not affect fridge cooling performance much. Th fridge uses a resistance type heater, and if voltage is 10% low, then the wattage will go to about 81% of the design value (wattage varies as the square of the voltage). In sustained cooling condtions, the unit will not work as well. However, in most conditions the heater is not on continuously, and the voltage drop will not have a significant effect.