Toilet Water Valve

Rrloren

I have to change the original water valve on my Dometic Toilet. Called Dometic and they will send a new one. I see how the valve pops out , are there any helpful hints I need to know?
How do you get the Pex clamps off , I guess I need to go get the Pex tool for putting the lines back together but not sure if a special tool is needed for removal.
I think I'll install a water spray hose like used on sinks while I'm at it. Had it on my last trailer and it was pretty handy.

SmokeyBare

No need for a Pec Tool for the plumbing fittings, unless you find a fitting broken. The Valve change requires a towel for any water drips, a Phillips screw driver and perhaps a pair of channel locks should the plastic fittings be too tight for hand removal.

Tools needed:
Phillips head screwdriver, Flat blade screwdriver or nut driver for the stainless steel draw-band, silicone grease or petroleum jelly for lube.
All Water needs to be OFF.
Snap off the foot pedal cover and you'll find the valve behind the cover. Its held on by 3 tabs.
Un-Screw the water "IN" plumbing fitting (Hand tighten) and loosen the stainless steel draw-band from the discharge "Water Out" hose.
There are 2 Phillips head screws holding the valve in place. Remove.
Lube the Top Valve Cap before you install the new Valve.

Here is a Link to a Manual for a Sealand Traveler Toilet. The manual should give you a guide to follow.

http://www.dometic.com/f7da89bb-3b0b-4c70-bc5b-f39bc7b0f7d7.fodoc

Marv

Rrloren

Marv' thanks for your help , I'll try it when I get home. Can you advise how to remove the pex couplings since I still may want to install the hand held sprayer in the line.

SmokeyBare

Richard,

To add the hand held sprayer to a toilet with out one requires another part. Your going to need to replace the Sealand Toilet Vacuum Breaker with one that also has a connection for the hand held sprayer. The hose for the sprayer is also clamped on the plastic vacuum breaker fitting with a stainless steel draw band. A standard kitchen sink sprayer hose with spray head should work providing the hose is the proper inside diameter for the slip on connection. The Vacuum Breaker is held in place by pushing the spout into a rubber bushing at the back of the toilet. Careful not to drop the rubber donut in the toilet !! I know this from an personal experience.

Now, if you still feel the need for a PEX tool... Check out the forum for others who have posted their research on the subject. They have made several recommendations for which type to buy and how to remove the PEX Bands.

Good Luck !

Marv

Rrloren

FYI, got home today and a new toilet water valve was on my porch. The instructions for the installation told me that the valve is held in place with 2 screws which were provided. The valve in my Coach has no screws, must have loosened and fell out which explains why I was able to hold the valve in place with one hand and operate the flush with the other . The wife must have swept the original screws into the trash . Looks like the repair will be simple. I was able to continue use of the toilet by wedging something between the valve and the wall to hold it in place. Worked well for the last 3 days of the trip.
Maybe this will be useful for someone else , ie, check to see that the screws in your water valve aren't loose.