Geo method

Gaffer

I am having trouble finding liquid Calgon in my area. I can find the powdered stuff more easily. I was wondering if anyone is using the powdered Calgon in the waste tank instead of the liquid. How much? Do you dissolve it in water first?

Nell

2 cups of water softener dissolved in a gallon of hot water is what is called for in the Geo method. I have the opposite problem in that I can't find the powdered Calgon.

smildrum

I know this does not answer your question, but I use the liquid and I just picked some up at Walmart today. Maybe you have one near you and you can find it there. If not- I would dissolve it before adding it to the tank. We take a bucket and add the Calgon, laundry detergent, and warm water then add to the tank.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have used the powder I just make sure it is disolved bfore I put it down the toilet. Kathy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In Michigan, at least, only Meijers seems to have the powder Calgon. It's all I use. I only add a cup to a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of warm water and then dump that down the toilet. Even though we're stationary for the season, it seems to do the job quite well. After dumping and flushing the tank, I also let the flusher run for a couple of minutes with the valve closed to add some water back into the tank, along with what's in the bucket.

olcoon

The first few times I looked for any Calgon products @ Walmart, I couldn't find them. Then one day I looked again, & found the liquid, but no powder. At our Wally World, it was across the isle from the liquid laundry soap, if that helps. I later found the powder (no liquid) Calgon at the local grocery store.

nemo45

Try 20 Mule Team Borax, its much cheaper and for works just as well if you mix it with hot water. Walmart has its own brand, I believe and its usually in the washing detergent section.

katkens-DW

Hay Don That's right I forgot about that we have used it too. it comes in a bigger box and works just as good. Kathy

SilverRhino

Try 20 Mule Team Borax, its much cheaper and for works just as well if you mix it with hot water. Walmart has its own brand, I believe and its usually in the washing detergent section.

I didn't realize they were the same.....that will make it easier for me. Finding Calgon in our area is usually impossible, sometimes just difficult. Our local grocery chain does not carry any Calgon products and I have had the same experience as Roy....one time WalMart has it, next time not. The times they have had it it was liquid.

Travel Safe!

Gaffer

Thanks for all your replies. It is nice to have options. Last night while grocery shopping at Fred Meyers (Krogers) I found powered White King next to the powered Calgon. The White King was three $ and something. About 30% cheaper and 30% bigger (77 oz) than Calgon. How easily does this stuff dissolve? If I mix up a couple of gallons before our next trip, will it stay suppended?

katkens

My black tank always has at least 5-6 gallons of water , never dry. If all the powder isn't dissolved it will going down the road. The agitation from traveling helps keep the tank cleaner and keep waste from turning to concrete if left dry......Kenny

nemo45

I didn't realize they were the same.....that will make it easier for me. Finding Calgon in our area is usually impossible, sometimes just difficult. Our local grocery chain does not carry any Calgon products and I have had the same experience as Roy....one time WalMart has it, next time not. The times they have had it it was liquid.

Travel Safe!

Not really the same thing, but they are both water softeners. There Borax mixes well if you use hot water. I just go to the outside shower to fill the bucket with hot water after I have added the borax. I then stir it with a wooden spoon until it dissolves.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Consider getting a faucet adapter that accepts a garden hose female end and just filling from the lavatory sink. My outside shower is so weak (and the hose so short) that it would take forever to fill a couple of gallons. I have a short section of clear hose just for this purpose under the sink. Remove the faucet aerator (unscrews easily by hand) and insert the adapter. No lugging of buckets in/out of the trailer.