Both batteries gone

ann1951

Could someone explain why both batteries are toast? We picked up our 08 3055 bh in Indiana late last year it had the original interstate 12v battery in it and all was good. I bought an extra one but did not put it in until we got home. We took it only out once that fall and as far as I can remember all was still fine.

When I winterized the unit the batteries came out as well and I charged them twice over winter put them in this spring and noticed that they drained very quick. Finally got time to have them load checked and they are both no good:confused:

I checked the levels in both and they are good so they did not get cooked. checked the converter to find we have the 60 amp PD IntelPower 9200 series nice, with the build in charge wizard.

So the only thing to do is to buy two new once, I am going 6v this time.
If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Rickhansen

Joe,
While I obviously can't give you a definite answer on what killed your batteries, I have an idea.

When you parallel two batteries, they should be the same size, ratings, and age - as closely matched as possible. Batteries are made up of multiple cells internally and each cell can have its own electrical characteristics slightly different than the cells that are mated up to it. When one cell takes a charge too quickly and overheats, or won't take a charge, the whole battery is ruined pretty quickly due to either a short (load) or an open circuit internally.

The same is true when paralleling two or more batteries. If there is any mismatch, one becomes a load on the other one, and you now have two dead batteries.

The original '08 battery was a year old (and possibly neglected in that year) when you added the second battery. I would guess that it failed at some point and took out the '09 battery.

Two 6 volts (in series to total 12v) is a better way to go, as the voltage to charge them, and the load across them is shared more evenly. Most people end up with 2 12-volt cells because they already have a 12 volt and are looking to add capacity for the price of one battery.

My two cents...

ann1951

Rick
Thanks for the explanation that makes sense sort of. I now have two
6v batteries charging and tomorrow they are going in.
Take care Joe.