explanation of weights

mickey51

I have a 2004 2500 ctd dodge 4x4 quad cab and 8ft bed

What i need explained this when you add the pin weight of the trailer to the truck to get the weight of the truck

ie truck 7500lbs
pin 2000lbs
= 9500

Trailer weight 10,100

is the total weight 19,500 or 17,600. If you take the 19,500 then aren't you adding pin weight twice? I am sure pin weight is included in the weight of the unit. How would a scale know the difference.

I hope someone from the factory can explain this to me.

Thanks j mac

mesteve

the weight of your entire rig is 17,600 (10,100 + 7500). The trailer weight unhooked sitting on a scale is 10,100. Your Truck weight unhooked, sitting on a scale is 7500. Your truck weight hooked sitting on a scale with the trailer wheels OFF the scale is 9500. This is the GVW and needs to be within the GVWR. Additionally, weigh the front axle hooked and the whole truck hooked (without the trailer on the scale) to get FAW and GVW, subtract FAW from GVW to get your loaded RAW, this too needs to be within factory RAWR.

Hope that helps some.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2004 2500 ctd dodge 4x4 quad cab and 8ft bed

What i need explained this when you add the pin weight of the trailer to the truck to get the weight of the truck

ie truck 7500lbs
pin 2000lbs
= 9500

Trailer weight 10,100

is the total weight 19,500 or 17,600. If you take the 19,500 then aren't you adding pin weight twice? I am sure pin weight is included in the weight of the unit. How would a scale know the difference.

I hope someone from the factory can explain this to me.

Thanks j mac
j mac, Is the trailer weight you have given, 10,100, the weight of the trailers axles or the weight of the entire trailer on the scale all by itself?
Generally, we pull the whole shebang (truck & Trailer) on the scale and we are given three weights. Truck front axle, truck rear axle and both trailer axles combined. After that reading is recorded, we drop the trailer in the lot and go back on the scale to weigh the truck alone getting the front and rear axles weighed separately. Combine your trucks axle weights and subtract the empty (trailer not hooked up) weight from the trucks hooked up weight. the difference is your pin weight. Add the pin weight to the weight of the trailers axles from the first go through and you will have the full weight of the trailer. I hope I made this easy enough to understand.

D

Dave Willis

The pin weight is included in the total dry weight. So, if we show a dry weight of 10,000lbs and a pin weight of 1950, that is included in the 10,000lbs. I hope this helps.

Thanks,