If your going to Washington DC...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you are staying at Cherry Hill RV in College Park MD and you are going to downtown Washington DC here is some information that I found out.

I bought a 2 day on and off tour from Grayline at the RV park. Cost $35 plus $10 for a Metro (Subway) ride to Union Station. You will have to pay $.85 to ride the metro bus from and back to the campground and Metro at College Park. When you get to College Park Metro you will get on the Green Line going to Branch Ave. I was looking for the Union Station sign. All they showed was Greenbelt and Branch Ave. These are the end of the line in the direction your going.

When you get to Fort Totten station you will get off and get on the Red Line. I kept looking for the Red Line info. I saw some red dots (that is what they use to indicate the lines) on the wall but a red line never came by. I wandered around and found that the red line is on another ramp. I had to go up a long flight of stairs (or esclators) to get on the landing for the red line. Then you look for Shady Grove. That is the end of the red redline in the direction to Union Station. Glenmont is the end of the line going in the opposite direction. That is the only way to find out what direction you need to be going to get on the subway.

Get on the red line to Shady Grove and go to the 4th stop which will be Union Station. When you get off you can stay on the same level and go into Union Station and walk through all the shops and cafe's or go up one of the set of stairs on each side and get to the mainl level.

If you walk out the main front door you will be heading directly toward the Capital Building with the Senate and House.

You just do the same thing when going back to Cherry Hill. When you get to the bus stop at College Park you need to look for a #83 bus line going to Cherry Hill. One #83 bus came by but said he was not going to Cherry Hill so you need to wait for the Cherry Hill to come by.

I don't know if any one is going to be in Washington DC but this would have helped me when I took off today. I am going to go on the Tour tomorrow and Friday and this helps me to not waist time finding my way around. Once you check it out it is pretty easy.

I hope this helps any one that wants to go to Washington DC

BC

beasleyrl

There are a lot of options to get around DC and DC is a wonderful city to visit! Cherry Hill is a great park close to the city and very convenient to Metro. Metro is great! Grey Line is here. There is a new "double decker" bus that looks fun too. And don't forget the "Duck" tours! And, for those that don't want these, there are plenty of taxi's. As someone that lives/works in the DC area everyday, my only caution as with any big city is to be sure you know where you are going before you go. In this case, exiting the Metro between Cherry Hill and Union Station can put you into some very "rough" areas. Do your research before you arrive and know where you are going. Once you are down into the city (close to Union Station or in the "downtown" area of NW), you should be in pretty good shape. Think and act smart! As with any big city, crime does happen -- even at the entrance to my heavily guarded federal building.

Also for those who have military/DOD access to Andrews AFB, they have a fine Family Campground (FamCamp). There is a Metro station 7 miles away. Amy and I spent 17 days there and the Metro was the best way to travel. Parking my truck at the Metro was never a problem.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
at the entrance to my heavily guarded federal building.

If you are around DC tomorrow or Friday give me a call and I will try to catch you for coffee or maybe quick lunch. Don't know what you do but I am taking the Grayline tour on the new red open topped buses.

They are an on and off so maybe I can be around the capital building to meet you.

Will PM you with my phone number.

BC

meandg

crawgator
We are staying at Cherry Hill also and have found that driving to the greenbelt metro station is cheaper and easier for a family of four. It is only one exit down 95 from the campground and has easy access. Yesterday I came home early then drove back over there to pick the family up. The kiss and ride entrance was perfect. Took me a bit to realize that is where I needed to go.

We visited with TXBobcat last night, very nice. I recognized him by his signage out front his trailer.