Another "Preflight" Inspection Item

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Sure glad I had a TPMS this past weekend. We headed over the North Cascades, as we often do, about 50 miles or so up the mountain as I was watching the TPMS I noticed one tire was a little low. Nothing for alarm at first as pressure does change with heat...sun side, shade side etc. However, the PSI continued to drop, the alarm sounded and we had to stop for air (not an easy task with 110 lb tires) We limped into Twisp underinflated to spend a few days. Aired back up to 110 for the trip home...again the TPMS showed signs of a slow leak! I thought I had checked everything carefully as I found nothing abnormal. Finally took the TPMS sensor off thinking maybe it was leaking. Still, by the time I got home the tire was at 87 PSI! Temps were OK believe it or not!

Planning on a trip to Les Schwab in the morning we unpacked and I began washing the Big Country. Sssssssssssss I heard! No snakes here but a nice crop of bubbles around the valve stem of the suspect tire! Ah Ha! I had never thought to re-torque the valve stems but after checking them...all were loose! I still went to Les Scwab just to be on the safe side but they confirmed all was now OK!

So, if you don't already do it...check those steel valve stems with a 9/16 deep socket.

Happy Camping!

PS Get a TPMS....I would never have known about the slow leak until it was to late and I was in "no-mans" land in the North Cascades!

tom

SJH, What is the torque LB for the valve stem you found loose and retorqued on your BC? Thanks.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Difficult to know the "exact" torque value as I couldn't find a published figure. It differs with internal/external sensors, aluminum/steel wheels etc. I torqued mine as tight as I could get from the outside (I did not take the tire off to hold the inside nut) I got them to about 60 inch lbs maybe a little more. The leak did stop. I do know that the one that was leaking I could almost turn by hand! They all were noticably loose! Put a socket (nut driver) on them and give them a twist...you will be able to tell instantly if they need tightening!