Bed Mounted 7-Pin Connector

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I had mine installed they put it on the left side just behind the wheel well and the tailgate.

However a friend of mine, after I had mine done, that I should have put it on the left side but in front of the wheel well. Then you do not have to bend under the trailer to connect the cable from the trailer.

Might have done it if I did it again..

BC

PSF513

Mine is mounted on the drivers side wall of the bed adjacent to the tailgate. I can easily access it during hookup and disconnect.

archbarb

I'd not really thought about having a 7-pin connector mounted inside my truck bed until the salesman asked if I had one there. I didn't, so I thought I'd do it.

I looked underneath at the wiring running to the factory connector, and was a little scared to cut and splice. I've never had good luck doing that. So I just made a jumper that would use a vehicle 7 pole connector, approx. 3 feet of properly sized wiring and a 7 pole trailer connector.

I bought the 7 pole vehicle connector and the 7 pole trailer connector at a local auto parts store, found a spot between the wheel well and tail gate, removed the small panel underneath the bed to verify there was enough room between the bed wall and the truck body, used a two inch metal hole saw and drilled thru the side wall of the bed where the connector will be mounted. I already had the correct wire sizes that were needed. I connected the wiring to the vehicle connector and fished the wiring thru the hole and routed along the bed frame to the rear factory connector. Connected the loose ends to the correct terminals on the 7 pole trailer connector. I then tie wrapped the cables neatly underneath and left enough slack to unplug if needed to use the factory connector. I used a small bungy cord (about 6") to mount to the trailer connector and frame of truck to hold the trailer connector up and out of the way when not needed!!!!!

Once completed, checked for correct voltages. All Good.

jnbhobe

I have done as Archbarb did. But the last one I did was to buy the add on assembly from my dealer. Its just plug and play very simple.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I installed one myself. On the Chevy's you can buy a kit that just plugs in behind the bumper creating a new plug while leaving th eexisting one operable, don't know if other brands do the same. Only real work was drilling the hole wherever you want your new plug. I bought my kit at General RV

plumberdude

i would have to agree with behind the back wheel, easy to get to.
just make sure that it has 7pins. we had ours installed the day we left to houston,(rig was in houston) found out that there was only 6 pins.
on the front of the plug itslef it had 7pin markings, so just take a look.
good luck and see ya on the road having fun

Bighurt

Mine is mounted in the flat end just inside of the tailgate on the left. Tailgate closes without touching connector, I can reach with gate down, and it doesn't interfere with any load. Someone here had a picture but I can't seam to find it. They replied to one of my posts and I followed their leed, very savy decision.

If you look at your truck you will know exactly what I'm talking about, I mounted it a few inches off the floor of the bed. The nice part is that there is already an access hole below the cavity for the taillight wiring harness. And its proximity to the hitch means you don't need tons of wire.

Jeremy

jcarnevale

Thanks for all the replies. General RV (Wixom, MI) wants $160 (parts & labor) to install one. I'm still looking for a Ford kit of some kind that you don't have to cut and splice wires. I like the flat end install idea behind the tail light, thanks Jeremy.

Jay

PSF513

My dealer installed mine when I bought the trailer. It is on an 08 F-250. The kit was simply plug in behind the trailer hitch and install

jnbhobe

Pete is right, you can go to any good rv dealer and get the harness. Its plug and play, should cost around $75 plus installation It can be done in way less than an hour. And there is no wire cutting.

jcarnevale

Anybody got a link to this plug-n-play Ford harness? General RV had nothing in the parts dept. and service said they cut and splice. I defiantly want to avoid cutting into the factory harness. What RV dealers have this harness?

Thanks Guy's

Jay

bighorn3370

Jcarnevale, I have seen them at Camping World. Try Napa in Novi. Their phone number is 248-348-1250. Milt or Mark should be able to help you out. If they do not, Try Brighton Ford or Hines Park Ford. Ernie

jcarnevale

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere! I'll check locally first then online at hitchesonline (part # HH20110) I just took the plug apart to see what I'm looking for. Basically a T connector (or 90 degree) wire harness that will plug into the factory plug.

7way.jpg

jcarnevale

Guy's, Thanks for all the help. I ordered the harness and installed it myself. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Jay

jcarnevale

Installed. Thanks again.

001a.jpg

Additional reference information: Tow Ready 5th wheel 7 Way Tow Harness Extension #20110 for 1997-2010 Ford and 1999-2010 GM
Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Reese (All part of Cequent, a TriMas company, based out of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan)

Last edited: