Refer fluxuating temps--8--10 degrees??

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We are currently in Prosser, WA---high desert with temps in the daytime up to 90+ or so. We will be here workcamping until Sept. We have a BH 3670 (2010). Our refer (dometic) really fluxes in temp---the morning it will be 37 and by the evening it is 46/47. Unfortunately the refer side of the rv faces west so it gets the hot afternoon sun. We do not have slide covers. Is this normal? Anything I can do to help the situation?
thanks
al

ralphpam

When the temps were that high last summer and the refer was in the afternoon sun, we removed both vent covers, put a ladder there and put a fan to blow air from bottom to top. That helped a lot! Putting lots of stuff from the store in it will also raise the temps several degrees along with opening the door. They just are not efficient in a slide out!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
al, high ambient temperatures and opening and closing the reefer door will cause it to warm up a bit. Everything ralphpam mentioned is true though I have not seen anyone remove the vent covers and add airflow. It may be a good idea to check the cooling fans above the coils on the rear of the fridge. If they aren't working, that would be a problem.

hoefler

Adding a fan inside the fridge will help considerably. I have been able to actually turn down the setting on our Dometic 2 door for all but the hottest days, 95*+. Adding a fan to the back side in the upper vent will also help out. I have seen solar powered units that you attach to the cooling fins on the back of the fridge and run the wires to the roof vent where you mount the solar panel. I see no reason why it won't work in your situatuion since the solar panel does not need direct sunlight to work.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have a roof vent for the Refrigerator Camping World sells a roof vent with a solar panel on it to power the built in fan. I don't have it but I have seen it in their ads.

aatauses

Thanks everyone,
I did check the fan several times and never saw it running---is there a way to test it? Looked like all the connections were ok, but it never did seem to run and the fluid lines were plenty hot enough. Is there some type of thermostat to tell the the fan to come on?
I did call dometic, but did not get much there, other than take it out and have someone look at it---would prefer to trouble shoot on my own with everyone's advice.
al

Rickhansen

aatauses,
If you search on "refrigerator" and similar terms you'll find a lot of information on this problem already on the forum, and the things people have had success with.

Yes, there is a non adjustable temperature control (ie. thermostat) that is mounted on the upper set of condener fins on the far right side. You can jumper that device out and the fans should run. (I had mine jumpered all last summer). There's also a simple schematic on one of the covers on the back of the fridge that shows the fuse location, etc., for trouble shooting.