One AC (Road Warrior) vs Two AC's (Cyclone)??

Oldnarf

We are considering purchasing either the Cyclone 4012 or the Road Warrior 405. We prefer the layout of the RW405, but were told that the RW does not have an option for a 2nd AC in the bedroom. We live in Southern California, and we are planning to use it in the summer at the Colorado River, where temps are 100+ (often 110-120). We're a little concerned that only one AC unit might not be able to keep the entire living space / bedroom cool. Does anyone have any real world experience related to 1 vs 2 AC's in this large of a toy hauler?

jimtoo

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I checked the options on the Heartland RVs Web Site and do not find the option for a 2nd A/C or wiring. So I am going to move your thread and post to the "Ask the Factory" area so that we can get an answer direct from the brand manager as to if a second A/C is available or if it is prewired for a 2nd A/c. If it is prewired then it is an easy install by the dealer.

We should hear from the factory or brand manager soon, but it is almost the weekend.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

kkflstf

You would be very disappointed with one a/c. I have 3850 Cyclone and had a 3795 prior to that and in my experience, one just can't keep up above 85 to 90 degrees. I generally use my coach in the Midwest during the summer months and the dew points are quite high and the heat index is routinely a 100+ which doesn't help. I have also added a 10K portable in the garage for extreme situations and use it a lot! With the two roof airs and the portable I can almost always cool it to the low to mid 70s in the heat of the day without shade.

Mike Aplin

All Cyclones and Road Warriors are wired and braced for a second A/C up in the bedroom. Two airs are an option on the Cyclone price sheet but it is not a listed option on the Road Warrior. Two airs would be available from your local dealer to install at the dealership as Heartland has taken care of all of the prep as standard equipment. If the 2nd A/C is something that you must have, we would find a way for you to get two A/C units. Take care, Mike

Jellystone

Oldnarf, welcome to the forum. We have the RW 305 with 1 air cond. unit and it handles the summer heat just fine. This is our second summer with it and I have yet to put the a/c on HIGH--LO keeps the unit perfect with the thermostat set between 75*-77*. We do 95% of our camping in south Louisiana (high temps/high humidity) & have been as cool as little Eskimos. The ducted air flow seems to work really well at cooling all areas of the 5th wheel. Either unit would be an excellent purchase for your camping needs. Heartland has done a fine job with the Road Warrior and Cyclone toy hauler brands.

jimtoo

All Cyclones and Road Warriors are wired and braced for a second A/C up in the bedroom. Two airs are an option on the Cyclone price sheet but it is not a listed option on the Road Warrior. Two airs would be available from your local dealer to install at the dealership as Heartland has taken care of all of the prep as standard equipment. If the 2nd A/C is something that you must have, we would find a way for you to get two A/C units. Take care, Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for the quick reply. I could not believe it would be otherwise. Jim M

gpshemi

I have a 3612 and one keeps up pretty decent here this summer here in Michigan and we've been out in some 80-95 degree weather. That's not to say that two wouldn't be better. I think it would, but I wouldn't want it in the bedroom myself. It's PLENTY cool in there and the bathroom (partially blocked in fact). I'd want it in the garage and hope some of it bleeds over to the main living also. Just my two cents.

BruteForce

I have a RW395 (42') and the single AC isn't able to handle 100F here in Utah. Interior temps get upwards of 90+. I've resorted to using a portable water based "swamp-cooler", coupled with a portable fan to distribute the air. I really need to price out a 2nd AC unit for the bedroom.

beasleyrl

You would be very disappointed with one a/c. I have 3850 Cyclone and had a 3795 prior to that and in my experience, one just can't keep up above 85 to 90 degrees. I generally use my coach in the Midwest during the summer months and the dew points are quite high and the heat index is routinely a 100+ which doesn't help. I have also added a 10K portable in the garage for extreme situations and use it a lot! With the two roof airs and the portable I can almost always cool it to the low to mid 70s in the heat of the day without shade.
I would second this. One unit will hardly stay cool with 2 units running and the door to the garage closed. You will definitely want the 2nds AC.

Sandpirate69

Hey Jim,

Good afternoon. I keep seeing Road Warrior & Cyclone owners a bit unhappy with thier A/C units. I just traded my Jayco toy hauler for the RW305 and i'm starting to wonder if i made the right choice. Please enlighten me on the A/C issue.

Thank you,
Ivan Roiz

Lou_and_Bette

We have the 405RW and could not be happier. The first dealer I went to was a very into RV'ing and gave me an OTD price that included everything he recommended to make our RV'ing experience great...this included sales tax, hitch (since we did not even have a TV at the time) and a 2nd AC in the BR. I then happened to go to a dealer in FW, TX to look at SOB who also had a 405RW,and mentioned I had a price sheet that included everything. We decided we didn't want the SOB and when we said we were going to buy the 405RW he wanted the price sheet and beat the price by $2K so we bought from him. If weather is cooler, and shady spot, main AC does the job, but with warmer weather or in the sun, 2nd AC makes living good. If you haven't settled on price, might see if 2nd AC could get worked into the deal.