Gooseneck adapter for Sundance

I have a 2009 Sundance 2900MK, I have been using a B&W with Companion Hitch and love it. I also haul a commercial gooseneck flat deck trailer with the gooseneck ball, My TV is a 07 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax. I would like to install a Ranch Hitch goose neck adapter on the Sundance, http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=160&idcategory=64 to make the swap between trailers easier and eliminate the need to constantly remove and replace the companion hitch.

I also plan to use a Cody Cusion, http://www.codyhitch.com/cody cushion.htm will the Sundance pinbox and underlaying structure be strong enough to handle the increased stress from this setup.

Thank you

PS we love our Sundance.

Ron

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: Gooseneck adapter for Sundnce

Ron, as far as I know HL does not recommend using a goose neck on their 5ers. I would give them a call and check for sure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

If you modify the hitch to use a goose neck adapter it will void the frame warranty.

Wharton

You might want to check your insurance coverage with a gooseneck also.

D

Dave Willis

It is not recommended to us a Gooseneck adapter. It will void the chassis warranty.

Thanks,

wyleyrabbit

I, for one, do not understand the attraction to goosenecks in the first place. What is the point?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I, for one, do not understand the attraction to goosenecks in the first place. What is the point?
I think the attraction is the convenience of not having to remove the hitch or change anything in the bed to be able to haul plywood, lumber or other stuff.

They are also rated for heavier weights so you can pull 25K or so. Most all 5 wheel trailers manufactured have GN tongues. Only the RV industry has stayed with the plates. We use an adapter and have for all 8 we have owned. Voids the Lippert warranty right out of the box so you might want to think about that. Didn't void our SOB units though. We weren't aware of the Lippert warranty issue or we would have bought another Yellowstone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, not wanting to void the frame warranty, I will continue to use the Companion 5th wheel hitch for the Sundance.

That being said, to answer the question what is the attraction, Convenience, I also haul a gooseneck flat deck for a hot shot service and need the ability to "quickly" have an empty truck box to haul what ever is needed. Having to install and remove the Companion Hitch (and find a place to store it) can be a problem, it is quite heavy and bulky even though it only takes the two U bolts and one hold down bolt to remove, also the companion is rated at 18000# and the turnover ball at 30,000# even though I do not get near those weights with my truck it is an indication of the available strength of each system.

lwmcguir

Thanks for the input, not wanting to void the frame warranty, I will continue to use the Companion 5th wheel hitch for the Sundance.

That being said, to answer the question what is the attraction, Convenience, I also haul a gooseneck flat deck for a hot shot service and need the ability to "quickly" have an empty truck box to haul what ever is needed. Having to install and remove the Companion Hitch (and find a place to store it) can be a problem, it is quite heavy and bulky even though it only takes the two U bolts and one hold down bolt to remove, also the companion is rated at 18000# and the turnover ball at 30,000# even though I do not get near those weights with my truck it is an indication of the available strength of each system.

I would like to see Lippert come out with an option for their frames that would allow the GN hitch without voiding the warranty. There are many of us out here that use our trucks to pull GN trailers and Campers. Makes no sense to have to switch hitches so we don't.

Driving through the local camp grounds about 50% of the coaches use GN adapters but few are HL coaches. However the Excels use Lippert frames and most of them locally have the adapters.

A month ago, there was a Landmark Grand Canyon down the road from us (never did get to meet the owner), that had what must be a gooseneck adapter on the pin. Looked like a long heavy metal tube designed to fit over something in the truck bed.

Bighurt

I have the B&W with the companion as well, because as a contractor and soon hobby fabricator, I need to use all three hitches.

fiver uses the companion.
contracting trailer uses the stock reciever.
and soon the gooseneck flat will use the turnover ball.

Three trailers one truck three recievers.

For me it's not a big deal, I can't use the truck with the companion installed when not towing anyways so I take it out. When I drop the trailer after a trip I pull forward, unbolt the hitch slide it to the tail gate and back on to the pin. The whole hitch then hangs on the pin-box until the next trip.

When I get the car hauler, the turnover ball will be the same, either turn-over or store in the tool box.

The rear hitch has the same principles, except I have a few depending on which trailer I actually tow.

Granted it would be nice if everything had the same hitch, but i like my setup. Also I find it way easier to hook up the fiver to the companion than my other trailer or a gooseneck. Having a crew cab makes seeing that ball a little hard and seeing that I may eventually get an in bed aux fuel tank, next to impossible.

I got the B&W so I had the flexibilty I mentioned. I don't find the install and removal difficult, so I just make it work.

I guess its all personal preference.

Thanks for the link on the Cody, looks like a great product.

Jeremy

jbeletti

I would like to see Lippert come out with an option for their frames that would allow the GN hitch without voiding the warranty. There are many of us out here that use our trucks to pull GN trailers and Campers. Makes no sense to have to switch hitches so we don't.

Driving through the local camp grounds about 50% of the coaches use GN adapters but few are HL coaches. However the Excels use Lippert frames and most of them locally have the adapters.

I am not qualified to debate anyone on this subject, but I did email Lippert on this. The essence of their reply was that to build a 5th wheel RV frame designed for loads/stresses of gooseneck towing, that a sizable amount of bedroom space would be lost the frame would be designed similar to that of gooseneck horse trailers.

Here again, I am not really qualified to weigh in any further on the topic.

Finally - while many do tow their 5th wheel RV with a gooseneck adapter, I seriously would not suggest it as the frame manufacturer is telling us straight out, that "the frame is not designed for it".

Jim