Tow vehicle question

NT_in_VA

Hi,
I am a new heartland owner. Bought a 32BHDS. I am looking at buying a new tow vehicle and am looking for advice from owners with experience with tow vehicle.

I am looking at buying a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Vortec Max Package. It has a 6.2L engine, Allison 6spd trans, 3.73 rearend, heavy duty tow package. That is the main basics but the question we are concerned about is the wheel base. The wheel base of this vehicle is 143.5".

Like i said above we are seeking advice fromowners with experience with tow vehicles.

Thanks
Mike

jimtoo

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

bighorn3370

"That is the main basics but the question we are concerned about is the wheel base. The wheel base of this vehicle is 143.5"." What is your concern?

bighorn3370

It will be up to you. Just My own opinion is that I would not pull anything over 30 feet with 1/2 ton truck. I would also get a very good weight and sway bars set up.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I wouldn't pull anything that big with a 1/2 ton either. I would go 3/4 ton with a dura-max. Oh gee thats what I have(lol)

PUG

Pug
The half ton is not enough especially with the gasr. If you have no doubt you aren[t going to go larger yet, then a three quarter ton diesel will probably do alright. If any chance going larger and heavier than about 10k go with a one ton diesel. I started out with a 3/4 ton Chev gasr pulling a 10k sail boat. Pulled the guts out of it. I then went to a 3/4 ton Chev duramax which pulled the boat ok but when I bought the 18k Cyclone it worked it hard. This was an 02 Duramax with only 225 hp but I boosted it to 300 and did better but still scarey with the weight. I now have a one ton Ram Cummins Dually. It hardly knows the boat is there and pulls the Cyclone like a dream. Chev Ram Ford are all about 350 hp now and have lots of guts> All are nice trucks but I now prefer the Ram, Mega Cab, 1 ton, Cummins.

Sailor

I would agree with the rest here a 1/2 ton is not enough truck. A 3/4 or 1 Ton Diesel will tow it much better, and STOP it better. The longer the wheel base the better, also dully would made a difference IMO.

scotty

Mike,

Several years ago I towed a 26' sunline, no slide with a 96 Dodge, 360. Strong truck, but have to admit 60 MPH with OD off was the most it wanted. Not saying I wanted to tow much faster, just that was all she wanted. I also have heard that for safety, about 24' is the longest that you want to tow with a short wheel base 1/2 ton. This is your call, but I know from my 20+ years and 6 RV's "get more truck then you need". You won't regret it later. A one ton is not too much here. They all have the pro and cons. A dually gives you much better stability, especially with a tag trailer, however a 3/4 or single wheel 1 ton, big motor is up to the task. Trust me not have enough power or wrong grearing is really hard on the truck and will very quickly get that way on your nerves. Don't rush, but I also agree 1/2 is not enough for a 35'. You will end up regretting that move.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, Congrats on the new North Trail and potential new truck. I think with the 1/2 ton capabilities you will surely be over the trucks GVRW. It's payload is between 1700 and 1800 lbs. Within that number you have to consider passengers, fuel and all cargo including the hitch weight of the trailer. The empty tongue weight of your trailer is just over 800 lbs empty. Probably closer to 1000 loaded for travel. While I personally don't feel you need a 1 ton for the capacity, a 3/4 ton would certainly fit your needs. A diesel would certainly be a plus but the 6.2 should have plenty of power. The wheelbase will be fine. I believe yours is the crew cab standard 6-1/2 ft bed, right?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The 1500 does not have an option for the Allison Transmission , it is the six speed Hydra-Matic 6L80. The 6.2 is also recommended to run on premium gas , might think about a 2500HD diesel for mileage. I'm not sure you can option the 3:73 gears with the 6 speed trans on a 1500, might want to check that out. I believe for a few bucks more would get the 2500HD no matter what motor you decide on......Kenny

davebennington

I would have to agree with the rest. I would get the biggest and baddest that you can afford. A big engine loafing is better than a small engine screaming. IMO.

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We pulled a 5400 lb. 27ft TT with a Chevy Avalanche (5.3L, 3.73 axle). It pulled it and stopped it, but it knew it was back there. Gas mileage dropped to about 9 mpg. I'd also go with nothing less than a 2500HD diesel.

NT_in_VA

Thank you all for the advice.

just some amplifying info. The truck does have a 3.73 rearend and my trailers MAX GVWR is 8000. it is a TT.

Mike

NT_in_VA

thanks for all the great input. Really appreaciate the experience I'm reading.

And we are not getting the 1500. Now I have been tasked with (by the wife) ti find a 3/4 or 1 ton that fits our budget.

Again thank you all and we really look forward to being a part of this "Family"

Mike

mtmax

Great choice ... you will be much happier with a 3/4 or 1 ton. If you plan on keeping the truck for quite some time think long and hard about getting a diesel. Not only do they last longer if properly taken care of, the resale is much better as well.

Delaine and Lindy

Hi Mike, my comment is from experience of owning several half tons and 5 Duramax/Allisons 2500HD's, 3500HD's and a 4500 I still have a 2008 Chevy 1500 C/C. I do use it mostly for light loads such as going to the store and I do pull a two wheel utility trailer hauling a x540 John Deere mower. I really don't think you would be happy with the performance of a 1500 pulling a 5th wheel trailer. I would go no less that a GM 2500HD and it would be a Diesel.

Also I would double check but I don't think a GM 1500 will have a Allison Transmission. The only GM Truck that I'm aware of was the 8.1 and it came with the Allison. The 8.1 is no longer made, mistake by GM?? This is just my opinon but I spent a ton of money before I got it right. I also don't think anyone should pull a 5th wheel trailer over 34' with anything less than a DRW 1 ton Truck. Safety factor is the reason, most 3/4 tons will pull any Heartland 5th wheel however from a safety stand point I recomend the 1 ton with DRW's. That is just my choice and if your buying another again I recomend the GM brand, All the GM Trucks I have owned have never had any issues. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....

P.S. "Remember you can have to much Trailer but never to much Truck".

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi,
I am a new heartland owner. Bought a 32BHDS. I am looking at buying a new tow vehicle and am looking for advice from owners with experience with tow vehicle.

I am looking at buying a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Vortec Max Package. It has a 6.2L engine, Allison 6spd trans, 3.73 rearend, heavy duty tow package. That is the main basics but the question we are concerned about is the wheel base. The wheel base of this vehicle is 143.5".

Like i said above we are seeking advice fromowners with experience with tow vehicles.

Thanks
Mike

If you are looking to buy a tow vehicle check the prices. You will pay just about the same for an F150 as an F250 or F350. I towed our Landmark (16000) with our previous truck which was a 1999 F350 SRW long bed. I had no problems towing with it and it was actually no bigger (width and length) than a F150 Long Bed. Remember you may want to upgrade the trailer at some point in the future and it is nice to not have to worry about upgrading the tow vehicle also.

nemo45

If you are looking to buy a tow vehicle check the prices. You will pay just about the same for an F150 as an F250 or F350. I towed our Landmark (16000) with our previous truck which was a 1999 F350 SRW long bed. I had no problems towing with it and it was actually no bigger (width and length) than a F150 Long Bed. Remember you may want to upgrade the trailer at some point in the future and it is nice to not have to worry about upgrading the tow vehicle also.

Except a diesel engine is about a $5000 option. Irregardless, I'd still go with the diesel, no matter wether its a Ford, Chevy or Dodge.