Looking for a campground around Philadelphia..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are getting ready to move a bit north and go see inependence hall in Philadelphia, Liberty Bell and see what other attractions are in the area.

I have looked around and can't seem to find a park that will handle a big rig or one that will be decent to stay in for a few days..

I would also like to know what else there is to see so I can determine how long I need to stay.

BC

Clymer

Not many at all to pick from...did you look into the Phila/West Chester KOA?? We heard that it was not bad and they offer a shuttle bus into Philly which is not a bad idea because if you don't know your way around you could get killed :) According to my KOA directory they are big rig friendly and have 90 pull thru sites...again have no idea what its like but most of the KOA's are ok for a few days. www.philadelphiakoa.com. Good luck and enjoy the city...the good parts are awesome

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the info. I looked it up and they charge $58 per night and only have 2 nights available. Some of the reviews says the road getting in is fairly long, winding and has tree branches in the way.

Might have to go with it, but I am going to look around some more..

Thanks
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi guys. Well I checke out all the campgrounds around Philadelphia and I was not to taken with the KOA. The reviews talked about the proglems getting there and other things, so I spread my search out to see what I could find out. Ilocated 2 that I think will fit the bill, but will have to drive a ways to the city.

I found Lake In Wood Resort in Narvon PA and Oak Creek Campground Bowmansville PA. They are about 58 miles away but I think I would like them much more and I am not limited to nust 2 days.

Have any of you stayed at either of these? I am planning to try the Lake in the wood first.

Also in addition to Independence Hall and the liberty bell we are going to go around Valley Forge. Do you know of any thing else that is of intrest in the area?

BC

Wharton

Longwood Gardens in Kennet Square is a lovely garden and greenhouses. Huge. Lots of walking. Also of interest is the Herr's Potato Chip Factory, not sure where it is, but between DC and Philly.

Did you try looking in NJ for a campground? Might be closer.

RollingHome

Bob, I live near the area you want to visit. I've heard good about the KOA CG in W. Chester. If it were me, I'd stay at Roamer's Retreat in Kinzer's and commute to Philly via the TV. Herr's potato chip factory and tour is in Nottingham, PA. Jim Herr doesn't own it anymore, he retired, some big corp bought it. Longwood Gardens is a must see if you like flowers, it was a DuPont estate, so is Winterthur on RT 52 in DE. Heck Bob, there's so much to see and do you almost need to live here for a while. One of my favorites is Baltimore Inner Harbor. If you need more info PM me. Tom

dieselsweetheart

We stayed at that West Chester KOA and ya...it's crazy to get to....we only stayed there to do a child exchange (back to his parents) and wouldn't book there again just because of the road into the place and the uneven sites. Your picnic table is sloped way down on your site. So, cross that one off your list. We ran into that problem (lack of cgs) in that area and that's how we ended up there. You will probably have to stay somewhere outside and then commute in. Have you checked state parks?