Which Way to Go

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK, I have a question for you experienced travelers. We are leaving Branson Friday AM and have several choices for a route south to Fort Worth. I need opinions as to which would be best.
South from Branson on 65 and hook up with 412 West to 540? OR
North to Springfield and take 44 into OK City to 35 South.
Keep in mind we'll have the BigHorn behind us. I don't mind 2 lane roads for a while. The southern route into Arkansas is only about 90 miles of 2 lane. Thanks in advance for your comments

jimtoo

I traveled 65 to 412 to 540 to 40 last year, except I was going North, and it was a good route. Just don't take 69 at Checotah to Sherman-Dennison to save a few miles. It was really rough.

HappyKayakers

I just traveled through OK city earlier this month, very bumpy on the interstates. Guess that's what got my sensors cleaned!

Ray LeTourneau

It sounds as if we'll hit rough roads either way. Our original plan was to take 69 South and stop overnite in McAlester, OK. It's about 100 miles on that road. I guess we'll toss a coin. Thanks for the replies.

J-W&E

We just traveled from Branson to Fredericksburg TX about a 10 days ago. We went the 65, 412 , 540, 40, 69. 412 has many, many 35-40 mph curves with lot of up and down hill pulling. All roads were smooth except 69 in Oklahoma. That was rough, but I have been on worse. Hope this helps you.

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up sticking with our original plan due to campground reservations. We did the south on 65, 412, 540, 69 route. The curves and hills in Arkansas were a blast. Man that 8.1 has some balls. We got a little goofed up in Ft. Smith due to Microsoft Streets and Trips. Bad directions. I won't go into detail. 69 was a bit rough in spots but overall not a bad trip. We decided not to go through Dallas but around on 635. We're at RV Ranch of Ft. Worth for 2 nights then on to Temple to meet up with jpmorgan for a couple nights. Happy to report no issues with wet carpet from rain. No tire problems either. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!