Replacement Locks

PSF513

There has been some recent posts regarding replacement locks for the underbelly and other doors that I can not seem to locate. Looking for suggestions as to where to look and what locks are best.

THANKS

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We just recently replace the door lock with a remote switch lock from RVLOCKS. Works great and fits where the manufacturer lock was. We also went to camping world and got hex locks for the basement. After watching someone go thru a bunch of trailer basements at Bristol races, that was a must. Hope that helps.
B--

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
These are the cam locks I used. There are some slightly less expensive, if you search, but these were initially recommended by someone. You need ones with an 1 1/8" barrel, regardless of which brand you get. I replaced all compartment locks, including the propane cabinet.
http://www.mrlock.com/24084.html

JohnDar

If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal to lock the propane cabinet in most jurisdictions.

CS

Had to dig around, but you may be correct. That is if the jurisdiction has adopted NPFA 1192 by reference into some vehicle code. In the 2008 edition, it's contained in Section 5.2.7.2 that hoods or housings covering valves shall not be locked or required special tools to open. After extensive searching of the State of Michigan website, I could not find any reference for this requirement.

I might put the latch back on if I find a compelling reason for it, but for now, I like it secured (and the propane off) when I'm not at the rig.

irvin56

I changed out all my compartment locks with the combination locks. same size tumblers.
i and also other i know have done it,. Picked them up at an rv dealer here in calgary.

3 number combo

i will look for the link on here and post it

SilverRhino

I replaced all the cargo door locks on our Big Country after others found their doors open and items missing while units were in storage. Went to a local locksmith with one of the locks and he had replacements that were keyed alike, in stock.

The locks I purchased were just over $4 each. Considered going to a barrel type, but locksmith, who has an RV, recommended I save my money. He pointed out that the lock was not the weak point on the door and really the most you can expect is for them to keep people honest. If someone really wants to get into an RV compartment, it would not take much work no matter what type of lock is installed. Just my observations....

I do not have a lock on my propane compartment.....when in storage I do have them chained in with a heavy chain and lock....again, will help to keep people honest.

Travel Safe!

JohnDar

You have to do whatever it is that gives you some sense of security. Whether or not it actually deters whoever picks you as a target remains to be seen, but at least you've done something more concrete than wishful thinking.

[Lest anyone's panties get twisted in a knot, this is a general comment, not addressed to anyone in particular.]

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
THIS IS TO ALL MEMBERS WHO ARE LOOKING INTO REPLACING THIER LOCKS CHECK OUT THIS SITE
WWW.iss4locks.com I FOUND THIS WEB SITE VERY INFORMATIVE. LOCKS ARE MADE IN USA AND THEY DO NOT DUPLICATE. LOCKS ARE MADE FOR THE REGION YOU LIVE IN. PRICE WAS VERY RESONABLE THEY HAVE OFFICES ALL ACCROSS THE U.S. AROUND $8.50 A LOCK I FOUND THIS SITE VERY CONSUMER FRIENDLY.