Anyone had any failures/problems w/your AC/DC converters?

babycampers

I just traded my factory mounted converter in to the mfg. for a replacement (under warranty) due to a voltage leak on the ground wire to the trailer frame. Is anyone else having this or similar issue lately with the converters?:confused:

Northern Virginia
How did you figure out you had a voltage leak to ground at the converter? I suspect that I have voltage bleeding off somewhere in my system and am currently (Ha,ha) trying to find it.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How did you figure out you had a voltage leak to ground at the converter? I suspect that I have voltage bleeding off somewhere in my system and am currently (Ha,ha) trying to find it.

John
Nice pun John:). Try looking behind the ac breaker panel. That's where ours is in the Bighorn.

wdk450

John

John:
In the hospital we used a special electrical safety tester to measure electrical leakage that had switches and a meter to disconnect the ground from the power source, and then to measure the AC current flowing through the equipment ground wire to a good ground. The maximum current allowed in the hospital was 500 microamps (0.5 milliamps). GFI's for general electrical equipment trip at 5 milliamps, so I would think that would be the maximum for consumer devices.
You could do the same test by disconnecting the grounded wires to the convertor, then using a DVM measuring AC current between the convertor case and a good ground. To make sure you are getting a good reading, and there are no unnoticed ground paths, I would disconnect power to the convertor, and measure the resistance between the convertor case and ground. The reading should be infinite ohms (open circuit) with the grounds disconnected. I would THEN apply power and do the leakage check.

Northern Virginia
Thanks Ray. I meant that I am trying to find a DC voltage short in my DC system. (Not looking for the converter itself :) )

Last summer I installed two new Interstate 6 volt batteries and they seem to loose too much too quick. I have been through the fuse panel and taken amperage measurements at each fuse but it doesn't seem to add up to the total drain on the battery. I have not checked the converter but that seems like the next logical place too look. I was wondering how the OP figured out that the had a short in the converter. For me, it has been a PITA tracking this down.

John

babycampers

The issue began with getting shocked when touching the trailer frame. We kept testing all the circuits in our panel and the frame ground. After MUCH searching and frustration (plus some input from converter mfg.) we finally discovered that the outlet we were powering the trailer from had no ground wire! The trailer panel was trying to get a ground from somewhere and only had the frame to use!!!!! We feel soooooo dumb now!!!
I just traded my factory mounted converter in to the mfg. for a replacement (under warranty) due to a voltage leak on the ground wire to the trailer frame. Is anyone else having this or similar issue lately with the converters?:confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The issue began with getting shocked when touching the trailer frame. We kept testing all the circuits in our panel and the frame ground. After MUCH searching and frustration (plus some input from converter mfg.) we finally discovered that the outlet we were powering the trailer from had no ground wire! The trailer panel was trying to get a ground from somewhere and only had the frame to use!!!!! We feel soooooo dumb now!!!

That is why I like the Progressive Industries EMS. It tells you if you have an open ground and many other malfunctions. Plug it in before you power up you unit and you can find a problem first.