After Market Fuel Tank

johng

I have a f250 turbo diesal, have the OEM tank ~30 gallons. Looking to go with aftermarket tank with larger capacity.

Any thoughts,suggestions or experience anyone has with this? Much appreciated.
John

Bighurt

I've been tossing around either a Titan 67 gal or a Transfer flow 60 gal, both are replacement tanks.

Titan is a poly tank, lighter, bigger, and shipping is included in the cost from most places.
Transfer flow is aluminized steel, baffled and slightly cheaper with freight.

Pulltab

Can't go wrong with an additional tank. We have a 51 gallon that has a tool box on top. Bought it from Northern tools. Have it connected to the main tank. It extends the distance so that we never have to stop for fuel while towing and I can fuel up at night when disconnected.

boatdoc

Can't go wrong with an additional tank. We have a 51 gallon that has a tool box on top. Bought it from Northern tools. Have it connected to the main tank. It extends the distance so that we never have to stop for fuel while towing and I can fuel up at night when disconnected.

I put the 40 Gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank system in and since then I have not had to fuel while hooked up. It sure makes it easier than swinging that 3670 into the fuel stations!!!

tmcran

I have the Titan 52 gal tank that replaces the OEM. I need the bed space so this was a very good option for me. Had it about 18 months. It is great not having to fill up every 250 miles. You will really like having an the extended fuel reserves no matter which one you get.

alkyspeed

Extra fuel on board is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I also have an in bed 51 gallon with a tool box on top. Bought it from Northern tools. If you can spare the bed space it is the way to go.

jnbhobe

I use a 45 gal tank in the bed works out good as it is only 10" high so I can still use most of the bed when needed.

Dave012

I have an 50 gallon Transfer Flow in the bed of the truck, and its one of the best modifications I have made in terms of our peace of mind. Even the DW thinks it was a good decision (she doesn't always think that way about my decisions). I liked this particular tank because it fit underneath my Tunneau cover.

I had also considered the replacement tank, but it didn't give me the kind of range that I wanted so I went with the in-bed tank.

You probably can't go wrong either way.

mikeandconnie

I agree, the best thing I added was the Aux tank. I took a 1000 mile trip last month and just one fuel stop. I have the 45 Gal ( 10" Wide, flush with the bed ) from Northern , also I installed a 12 volt shut off valve and can open and close it while driving. Works great with my 08 F350.
Mike

robnmo

We've got a 92 gal transfer flow with monitoring system, it's a bit overkill but came with the truck, I couldn't imagine traveling any distance without an aux tank.

Cimriver

I have a shortbed F-350. I recently had a Titan 51 gallon replacement tank installed. Really glad I did. Well worth the money. I looked at the Transfer-Flow in bed option, but felt with my shortbed I didn't want to give up the bed space to the aux tank.

beasleyrl

We just added a 60 gallon/tool box combo RDS tank from Northern tool and got back from the first trip with it last week. Wow! What a difference!!! This is a very simple solution using gravity flow to fill the tank. As a result, it was extremely cost effective. The trip was about 2000 miles and I only had to fill up 4 times. Without it, I would have had to stop about 12 times. I highly recommend this option. Good luck!

beasleyrl

So you are carrying 98 gallons at completely full?
Yes - 38 in the factory tank and 60 in the aux tank (I think it is a couple of gallons less than the rating but it could have also been flowing into the main tank as I was pumping). Since I only get about 6.5 MPG, the more fuel I have the better. This amount gives me plenty for a long days drive. The nice thing is if we stop at a park for the night, I can get more fuel without the trailer attached. Or, I can SELECTIVELY look for a good truck stop that is easy to get in/out.

johng

Thanks all for the input, I have a shortbed, so I'll have to make the call for a aux tank or replace the oem one with a Titan one.
Just have to gather up the $$$.
Last trip out, pulled into the gas station just as the fuel low light came on, made that calculation a bit too close!!!

caissiel

I have only a 20 Gallons tank on the front of the bed. It only takes up 5" in the front of the box. I have a long WB now but had it on my 2 previous short bed trucks. I would not travel without filling it. I can only get 700 Miles with the trailer, but its enough for one days travel.

Northern tools has a great dump adapting kit. I have included a 12Volt solenoid valve that I just flip a switch when I need to dump in the truck tank.

The Ford has a sensor that will light the service light if there is not a certain amount of fuel burned in a certain time telling the driver the fuel gauge must not be working so I installed the solenoid to allow the gauge to drop periodically.

But I don't believe that it times out the gauge because I have dumped the complete tank in one time and the light never came on.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Check out ATTA tanks in Texas. I put their 30 gal under tool box tank in my 2500 Ext cab short box and it is only 9 " tall with the filler neck at the back so I can fill with my tri fold on. I got the computerized fill system and it works very well.

Rick

jgallego

I have a short bed truck and use the transfer flow 50 gallon auxillary tank without a problem. Never have to fill up while pulling the 5th wheel.

Jaime