Looking at a used 2007 2800 bunkhouse

We will be looking at this unit tomorrow at the dealer here in Las Vegas. Asking price 19,844 I think. Is this a fair price for this unit and what should I look for in it as far as problems and maintenance issues. We are in the market for a 5th wheel, but this will be the first trailer of any kind we will own. We have rented travel trailers before but ultimately think a 5ver will do us better. Tow vehicle is a 99 f 350 dually so no problem there towing it, just want to know what to inspect and look for on the rig, as there will probably be know warranty.
Thanks in advance
Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: Looking at a used 20072800 bunkhouse

HI Darren,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in with their opinion soon. Mean while enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Jellystone

bomberchamp, welcome to the Heartland forum. Inspecting a trailer for purchase is a very time consuming event. There are hundreds of items to check out on the unit for a thourough inspection (too many to list). Some basic advice, check ALL appliances to ensure they work (incl. refridgerator and air cond.). Look in every compartment,cabinet,under sinks,around toilet & shower,ceilings,storage areas,etc. for possible water leaks (area will be moist-discolored-or warped). Crawl under the unit and inspect the frame,springs,hangers,etc. for cracking welds or broken items. Run water through the plumbing system to check it out. Inspect the tires for damage or wear. Extend the awning and look for damage. Inspect ALL jacks to make sure they work. Be sure all trailer specific tools are still in the unit (manual stuff for jacks,awnings,slideouts,etc). Inspect roof membrane for damage or excessive wear (incl. vents). Inspect slideouts and be sure the seals are not damaged. Check all windows and doors for a snug fit. Inspect gray/black tank valve handles for damage. Check out battery and 12 volt system for correct wiring etc. Check out kingpin and box for damage---And a bunch of other odds and ends, but you get the idea. Hope this helps.

jcarnevale

Here's a Pre-Delivery Inspection list I pulled off the net (not sure who to give credit to).

Attachments

• PDI.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 15

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
It all depends on the condition of the unit (new tires, does everything work, has it set outside in the weather, warrenty?).
maybe $12K-$18K

Thanks for all the replies so quickly. We went to look at the unit this morning. It was in nice shape with new tires and the only flaw I saw was a bent ladder on the back. Looks like it was backed into ever so slightly. Problem was my wife wasn't jazzed at all with the layout of the bunks in the back. We aren't necessarily looking for a bunk house, but if we get one it has to be more opened. She looked at some new ones in another brand and fell in love. So for now that particular one is out, I'm still going to be looking for some sort of Heartland product though.
Again thanks for the help and I will definitely print and take the checklist along whenever we do find something that's right for us

RoadJunkie

The way I read the ebay posting is that the starting bid is $15K. Further down it lists MSRP at $42,707 and indicates you save over $15K, which means somewhere around $27K?