How many times too torque?

jpajax

I checked the torque on my axle unbolts when unit had about 1,000 miles on it they were lose. Got back from Tenn. rally rechecked lose again with about 1,500 miles on unit from first time.. Is there a limit on the times you to can torque? Torqued too 65 ft lb. both times.

lhetsler

I too have wondered this. Broke a spring. New Springs plus 200 miles tightened. Then 600 miles tightened. Then finished my trip home. I did only have to tighten 2 or 3 on the last go round. I will check again on before my next trip next week. Waiting to see what others have experienced. I know the ubolts stretch and it is that stretching that is supposed to hold the nuts tight.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I checked the torque on my axle unbolts when unit had about 1,000 miles on it they were lose. Got back from Tenn. rally rechecked lose again with about 1,500 miles on unit from first time.. Is there a limit on the times you to can torque? Torqued too 65 ft lb. both times.

Do you have G rated tires? If so the torque on them should be 120 fps. To my knowledge there is no limit on the number of times you can torque. As long as the threads on the bolt and nut are good.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The U-bolts are a softer metal than the tire studs and nuts and therefore will tend to stretch a bit more. Try contacting a reliable spring shop in your area and ask their opinion. Maybe new U-bolts might be the ticket. Sadly there is no way to visually look and see if we are getting quality steel. In fact, I'm not even sure if U-bolts are "rated" for hardness or stretch.

jcarnevale

I've tightened mine four times since new (3 months) and the amount of turns to reach the torque is less each time and not all nuts are out of torque. I'm assuming that it is due to the newness and will remain torqued after a few more times. We'll see !

Jay

RoadJunkie

My theory on a requirement to re-torque the bolts is because there is settling between the axle and the shoulder brackets that secure the assembly. The movement, caused as you travel, is why we need to check--and keep checking--the bolts. I would think eventually all movement would be captured and re-tightening would not be required.

Bighurt

There is nothing wrong with torquing them more than once, aside from wearing out the torque wrench. Unless you set the wrench higher you can't over torque them. According to Lippert the u-bolts should be torqued to 65. The reason we have prescribed torque to to prevent two things from happening. A. Not providing enough force to seat the nut thus allowing it to loosen, or B. Applying more than the recommended torque will begin to damage the fastener.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know if it is possible but maybe someone can chime in on the possibility of changing out the nuts to the type of nut that has the plastic insert which stays tightened better. Just a thought.

jpajax

I too thought it was the settling of the bolts I did noticed that the unbolts were not hanging straight took ball pin hammer and straighting them up before I tighten will see if this help.

lwmcguir

If you have tightened / torqued the axle u bolts more than 4 times and they are still loose you have a problem. Check to be sure your springs are properly curved. If they are getting flat then that will affect the U bolts as well. I have never had to re torque more than twice on any of our trailers unless we had a spring failing. The torque is different based on the diameter of the U bolt as well. Most of the one you are discussing are 1/2 inch. The heavier axles have 9/16 or 5/8 inch bolts and higher torque ratings.

jcarnevale

I don't believe the nuts are moving in my case. The spring pack is brand new(three months, 1200 miles). I believe that the packs are slowly being seated (there are over 6 surface's that have to seat). As they become seated they get closer together giving the impression that the nuts are loosening .......I think.....? I believe that mine will all be seated within the next few torques. If anyone thinks that there nuts ARE loosening, you can always double nut them..IMO.

Jay

021 (2).jpg

Pictures are cool ! :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The Horn has been used 3 times since the new springs were installed. Had to retorque them everytime. To me this is not acceptable. This is the only trailer I have had to do this on. Never have to retorque the U bolts on my Chevy truck, Freightliner COE, 42' flatbed or my 40' refer. The last 3 had over a million miles on them. So "splane Lucy" why I should have to on the Horn everytime I want to use it. I do know why.......we will just leave it at that.

lwmcguir

Three times torquing and you will find the bolt that stretches a bit more and as the coach is turned and the axles stressed the weaker ones will be found. If you are checking the torque and having to tighten the u bolts each time they are going to stretch and finally fail. That has been our rule for the past 50 or so years and it has never failed us. The fourth time the bolt needs torqued it gets replaced. However if you have a drive or storage where you consistently have to pull 90 degree turns you might have other issues.

jcarnevale

Just torqued them again and only one out of sixteen were out of torque and only by a very little. I believe I'm done torquing these puppies!

If not, I'll be torqued :mad: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Well it's off to Mohican State Park for some epic mt biking ! Site 59

Jay