Blowout!

While on our way to a CG in NE PA on Friday we had an eye-opening experience. On the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike (I-476) we had a tire failure. The Duro tire on the right rear disintegrated. I heard an unusual sound and so did Kathy. She looked back and saw the tire coming apart. I immediately pulled onto the shoulder (less than 1/10th of a mile going by the markers). We have AAA with the RVPlus, and they were there in 20 minutes with the Allstate Emergency Response unit. The shoulder there was only 10 feet wide and I gotta say it was a nerve wracking wait for help. The service guy said if it had been a left tire we would need the State Police to close the highway. After the tire was changed we continued to the CG (closer than going back home) praying another tire wouldn’t blow (Read all of the posts concerning this issue).

After we got to the CG we took another look at the tires. Two of the remaining 3 tires had visible cracks. Before we left the storage facility we checked the tires and they looked OK. I would not have attempted the trip if they didn’t after reading all the bad reports on the Duro tires.

We did not want to drive home with the remaining Duro tires we have on the NT, especially without a spare. We’re lucky the CG we’re at has an RV dealer next door and we are able to replace the tires, but they only have 3 tires in stock so we have to have to wait until the order for the 4th tire is filled. We planned on leaving the CG on Monday but have to extend to Tuesday to wait for the 4th tire. This would not have been a problem except that Kathy has to be back at work on Tuesday and that of course won’t be possible.

The final tally for this trip will be 4 new tires, 1 new wheel (now), a new chrome wheel that has to be ordered to replace the one destroyed by the blowout (can’t be reused), right rear side marker, extra night at the CG (lucky it was available because of the race next week at Pocono) and Kathy having to use vacation time. All in all a very expensive 3 day weekend.

The tires on the NT have about 5000 miles including this trip and we have had the NT only 22 months. I don’t understand why Heartland would let such an inferior tire be placed on an otherwise outstanding TT.

We have no complaints with the trailer. We’ve been very happy with every aspect of this trailer but very disappointed with what happened with the tires.

We plan on upgrading soon to a larger RV but if Heartland continues using inferior tires they will not be our choice.

Also posted on the North Trail Talk forum.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry to hear about your issues...but if it's any consolation, it can even happen with good old American made tires. We're sitting in a dealers lot in Bath, NY waiting for body repairs caused by our Goodyear G614 throwing it's tread and blowing out a week ago this past Tuesday in PA....cost us five brand new tires and almost $1,700 in body repairs...hoping GY steps up and accepts our damage claim...we'll see.

We replaced our cheap chinese made tires three months after buying our Bighorn, and with three years and about 35,000 miles on our tires, which by the way had plenty of tread, were in excellent condition, and were monitored with a TPMS for constant pressure, etc...we still are in the same position.

hoefler

Last summer we had one blow on our Landmark last summer. $2700 damage to the coach, $750 for 5 tires, $200 for 4 wheels, about $8000 damage to the S-10 p/u beside me when it blew. No warning, just bang, look in the left mirror, debris flying every where and the S-10 heading into the median. No one hurt luckily, just some dirty shorts.

Tom of Ypsi

We are in the same position as Ken & Kathy and you. We had our blow out (GY G614) on May 29 and HL did not even order the parts from the vendor until June 29. Parts just came in last Thursday, Camping World, Belleville, Mi, July 22 but no time to fix it since we have to be in Elkhart to get work done on the frame of our LM on July 26. After we are finished we have to return to Belleville, Mi to get our repairs then off we go to Houston for a Judy's 6 month check up.

All of the other manufacturers are using Chinese tires but some will let you have an opton for AMERICAN MADE tires.

kakampers

Last summer we had one blow on our Landmark last summer. $2700 damage to the coach, $750 for 5 tires, $200 for 4 wheels, about $8000 damage to the S-10 p/u beside me when it blew. No warning, just bang, look in the left mirror, debris flying every where and the S-10 heading into the median. No one hurt luckily, just some dirty shorts.

Just curious...what tires did you put on a Landmark that only cost $750.00 for FIVE???....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - many times you insurance will cover vehicle damage, including wheel replacement, caused by blowouts.

kakampers

14 ply Hankook all steel belted tires F19 7.50R16LT, here is a link to them: http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Handl...Name=PRODUCT/CATALOG/F19_Catalog.pdf&siteCode

$145 x 5 = $725 + disposal fee $2 + tax $52.38 = $779.38

If I read the information from Hankook correctly, at max inflation that gives you 3,330lbs per tire or 6,660lbs per axle...you have 7,000lb axles...that means your tires can carry 340 lbs LESS per axle than your axles are capable of...Landmarks and the larger Bighorns are all rated for G load tires, which carry 3,750lbs per tire, at max inflation. G loads give you 500lbs extra per axle. Is there a specific reason you downgraded your load rating?

hoefler

The side wall shows a rating of 3750, which is 250 higher than the one I blew that Heartland installed on the trailer when new. I found out later that the tires that were on my rig were 2 weeks outside of the recall on them. Which many Heartland owners had trouble with.

kakampers

The side wall shows a rating of 3750, which is 250 higher than the one I blew that Heartland installed on the trailer when new. I found out later that the tires that were on my rig were 2 weeks outside of the recall on them. Which many Heartland owners had trouble with.

Well that's good, since 3750 is the capacity of a G load at 110 psi...the info in the flyer must then be for a different tire than what you installed...it states 105 psi with a capacity of 3,330 per tire....

hoefler

Trust me, after what we had gone through, it was the first thing I checked and comfirmed with my tire dealer back home.

Saildogs

After reading about the Duro tire problems on this forum andothers, we are seriously considering replacing the Duro tires on our NT 24RBS before our late August trip to the Adirondacks. So far Maxxis tires seem to be the most recommended.

kakampers

Sorry to hear about your issues...but if it's any consolation, it can even happen with good old American made tires. We're sitting in a dealers lot in Bath, NY waiting for body repairs caused by our Goodyear G614 throwing it's tread and blowing out a week ago this past Tuesday in PA....cost us five brand new tires and almost $1,700 in body repairs...hoping GY steps up and accepts our damage claim...we'll see.

We replaced our cheap chinese made tires three months after buying our Bighorn, and with three years and about 35,000 miles on our tires, which by the way had plenty of tread, were in excellent condition, and were monitored with a TPMS for constant pressure, etc...we still are in the same position.

Well you could knock me over with a feather!! Just finished filing our claim with Goodyear on Wednesday, after getting final bill from Wilkins RV for the damage repair...and heard from GY this morning...They are paying the ENTIRE thing!!!

Can't believe it, not only are they paying for the damage to the RV, but they are paying for the FIVE new GY tires we put on the Bighorn...finally some good luck!!!

camr

I think Goodyear will be selling a whole bunch of tires based on the last post. So many companies focus on the single immediate problem on the service counter, rather than the future sales from a platoon of customers who are made aware of a positive problem resolution like kkampers experienced. Way to go, Goodyear... and thanks very much, kkampers.

logan60

Our Bighorn 3055 purchased from Wilkins RV (in New York)....body repair done after Goodyear Marathon disintegrated within year of purchase (2nd rear axle tire in two years)...weight is slightly under max. Goodyear would not pay for anything..tire was almost completely gone..they said not able to determine what went wrong with the tire!!!.. it was in shreds..but wouldn't admit any deficiency because they didn't have enough tire to evaluate.