Bad odor and taste in city water

guyton44

I have a "vinyl" taste and smell in my 287. I purchased the camper last May and have had the problem almost from day one. I was using an old supply hose and now have purchased a new "drinking water" hose and the taste seems worse now. I have tried to clean the lines with a bleach solution and then with a baking soda solution. That only helps a little and for a short time. Will an inline filter help with this problem? Is this problem with my supply line or is it in the rv? The water is unusable now. Nothing will cover up the taste.
Thanks
Guyton

jeffl

We had the same problem. Water taste is horrible. We added a PUR faucet mount filter and it works great for us. Hope this helps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Make sure your drinking water hose is the white hose. If you use anything else you will get the 'garden hose' taste.

GETnBYE

We've that to also. And taste it when we brush our teeth in bath also in the ice trays from the freezer, even if I used bottled water to pour into the trays. I've tried everything. It does after a year seem to be getting better. Maybe it is just another thing that a little time helps.
Nita

hoefler

Use a tank sanitizer to chlorinate your system. Might double up the dose. I installed a whole house filter with a charcoal element in the compartment with all the water connections. I hook up the city water to the filter. I also installed a valve to fill my fresh water tank to fill through the filter. That way any and all water goes through my filter before it goes into my system.

DougAndJudy

We found that the so-called "drinking water" hose from Wal-Mart was especially prone to the vinyl taste for a long time. The similar hose from Camping World seems to lose the vinyl taste in a day or two of use.

branson4020

Icantre Member
We have same issue and in our case, it is not the supply hose, its the RV plumbing itself. Its over a year now and it still has not gone away completely, but it is getting better. Just be patient and carry some jugs to fill from the campground supply for drinking.

PUG

Pug
A big difference in "domestic quality hoses". Tried two before i got a good one from camping world. The faucett filters works good too. We still get a yucky taste occasionally so we have gone to a brita pitcher filter for drinking water and ice cubes. It gives good quality water and lasts quit a while.

guyton44

Thanks for the information. As a matter of fact, the new hose I have came from Walmart. What brand name is best and does only Camping World sell a good one?
Thanks,
Guyton