Hard wire or portable surge protection ?

DWH

Well folks what do you recommend for our 2010 Landmark GC? If you hard wire it where do you locate the surge protector? I am saying surge protector for ease of reference. I do mean however, a unit that will protect from low voltage and incorrect wiring as well. Advice much appreciated. Thankyou.

Doug Hoeffner

porthole

Retired
I like the hard wired Progressive unit. Not visible and not hanging on a CG pedestal.
Also has remote displays, I put two displays in our trailer, one in the UDC and another in the LR near all the other "stuff".

I'll be posting pics soon in my mods thread.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have the hardwired Progressive unit with remote display. Once it's mounted, it's not something you need to remember to set up or take down, and nobody of a curious nature has access to it (locked to pedestal or not). Although I had it installed, I later moved it myself and learned how simple an install it can be. Hardest part is getting the stiff, heavy gage wires attached to the terminals inside of it. I moved it to a mounting out of the way of any potential leaks and accessible if needed. In the basement photo, it's above the converter. The display, in the upper left corner, is easily read through the glass of my "master control" panel. Next to it is the Charge Wizard monitor for the converter. Taped under the display is the list of error codes it can display. If it does trip while you're away and then come back on, it will hold the code until you reset it, so you know what happened.

View attachment 9484View attachment 9485

boatdoc

I prefer the portable one. When we get to the spot, if at all possible I plug the EMS in and check the parks power. Most of the time it's good and we can back in and start setting up. If the parks power has something wrong than all the backing and leveling has gone to waste if you don't check it first.
I have NOT heard of anyone loseing their EMS that hangs on the pedestal but then again we don't normally stay at 2bit parks.

beardedone

Beardedone
I hard wired mine in for the same reasons everyone else does. I bought an extra 4 meters of wire, disconnected the main line from the circuit breakers, (if you are not sure take a digital photo first so you hook new wires up right) and then I moved the wire forward and put the EMS up high and behind the storage compartment partition. Do all the wiring to the EMS before you mount it to the wall or where ever you put it. The remote monitor is in storage compartment up high on the UDC wall. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

porthole

Retired
but then again we don't normally stay at 2bit parks.

Doesn't have to be a "2bit" park. What most of the 40 plus rigs at Hatteras don't know is that there were 2 individuals on bicycles riding around the campground at 4am. And they were not camping.

boatdoc

Doesn't have to be a "2bit" park. What most of the 40 plus rigs at Hatteras don't know is that there were 2 individuals on bicycles riding around the campground at 4am. And they were not camping.

If someone pulls my plug at 4am I will know instantly, we can't sleep without some white noise, a 110 fan. I sure before they can get back on their bikes they will be looking down the business end of my buddy, Mr.45 and in this day and age I ain't affraid to use it.

porthole

Retired
My progressive install:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135047&viewfull=1#post135047

porthole

Retired
John, the main display is the UDC, that way when I first plug in I can take a look to see what we have. After that I switch over to the inside display. Switching can only be done were you put the remote selector. @ displays are not really needed, just a convenience thing.

But the real reason is that 2 displays were offered ;)