Big Horn Electrical Problem

hillsonwheels

Need some advice from the "pros".........Last night one leg of our power inside the coach dropped off line. We lost the 110 that powers up the front AC, the hot water heater, the micro wave, the ceiling fan and all the outlets that are controlled by the GFI outlet. All breakers indicated okay and even with that I cycled them just as a check. Haven't had the time yet to check anything else. Not sure I'd know where to start, either.

Only thing else I have done is to make sure that I had good power from the post to the coach. Both sides showed strong 115 V.

Any ideas/suggestions????????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dick, unplug from shore power and then take your breaker panel out. It is held in with four screws. Check that the wires going to the main breaker are good and secure.
Another thing is I would check that the shore cord is getting power to the coach. Unplug from the coach and plug in at the CG pedistal.
And you did cycle the main breaker in the coach and at the pedistal?
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You probably already did, but since you didn't mention it specifically, did you also check the GFCI outlet in your rig to see if it had tripped?

Dick,

If you have a factory installed generator or GenPrep, check the lugs on all conductors inside the transfer switch. I had a loose neutral on the output side of the switch and that's why I arrived at the Nashville KOA with no AC power in the coach. Nothing an hour of Marv and me sweating didn't fix. Made for a good production meeting topic at the factory too - followed by a process re-assessment :)

hillsonwheels

Hey....Thanks for suggestions thus far. Was in contact with Chris @ Heartland services earlier to get my oar in the water with them. They're "thinking on it".

Problem for now is that we are away from the coach until next monday. That length of time should allow for more thoughts on the problem. Keep the suggestions coming, please.

Cookie, I was on the same track as your suggestion yesterday before running out of time to pursue.

Still looking forward to Goshen trip 15 AUG for levelup and triglide install. Sure do want to have electrical problem put to bed before then.

Keep smilin' :) everyone!!!!!!!

Dick

p.s. Did try to cycle the GFI.......no joy........ and we do have genprep but no gen. Should I still check out??

jnbhobe

Dick; Jim and Dave are on the right track I would think. You will just have to pick an end to start from and check out everything. Take a multimeter and start checking for voltage there nas to be something loose or disconected. Just a process of elimination.

...p.s. Did try to cycle the GFI.......no joy........ and we do have genprep but no gen. Should I still check out??

I would still check out the connections inside the transfer switch Dick. The shore powerline goes into the switch and the output goes to your AC breaker panel. So regardless of the existence of the generator itself, a discontinuity of any leg of the shore power or output within the switch, will affect the power you get to your AC breaker panel.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One other place to check. Where the cord twist lock goes into the coach. Remove the twist lock plug and unscrew (four screws) the connector. Pull it from the coach and check the wires on the back side of it.

hillsonwheels

Thanks again for all the suggestions. As I said, will be away from coach until next Monday. Will start testing/looking for solution on Tuesday. I'll post findings as they unfold.

Dick

hillsonwheels

Hey Folks,

I can now report on findings and repair efforts on loss of electrical power in our coach.

Turns out one hot leg contact in the "contactor" had heated up and was fused. We found loose set screws holding the wires. Everyone took multiple turns to tighten (even the ones on the generator side and I have no generator). Heat had actually bubbled up one side of the case and caused it to break off. :(

While the coach was still under warranty, I called Heartland service about a loud humming noise at the entry door. By phone, It was diagnosed as a bad inventer and a new one was sent. Not the problem! So, now suspect loose connections allowing vibration, causing heat and eventual fusing. Wonder....:confused:.....will Heartland reimburse me for the fix.....a new transfer relay switch @ some $200?

Thanks to a neighbor who is very familiar with those devices, we were able to tear it down, free the contact and get all working. Bad news though...exposed metal where case broke allowed voltage to leak so started getting shocks when ever I touched the frame outside. Wet grass and stray voltage gives quite a new meaning to waking up first thing in the morning. :rolleyes:

Though disgruntled over having the problem, it falls somewhat in the category that "stuff" happens with these rolling earthquakes. Since I'm aware of Beletti's problems in his Landmark in Nashville, I can't help but wonder who else will have the same problem. Beware of loud humming noises at your entry door.

I replaced the relay yesterday afternoon.

I did have my faith in humanity reinforced during this whole effort. If you are ever in need of parts, and are near Burglund's Outdoor in Troutville, VA, give them a chance to assist you. Roger Smith spent over an hour on the phone trying to locate a local source for my replacement transfer switch for which he was out of stock. No joy, but he did have one over nighted by UPS. I picked it up on my way to Cozy Acres in Powhatan, VA.

And, not being very confident in my electrical skills and having confused myself, I called a guy named Mike Courtney here in the Richmond, VA area who was recommended by the Cozy Acres staff to install the switch. Rather than take advantage, He talked me through the install by phone.:D

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hope this saga might help someone else.

Dick

jnbhobe

Glad to see you got it figured out Dick. Its also nice to see you found a way to wake up quickly in the morning we know thats hard for you

hillsonwheels

Jon,

So, So funny! :rolleyes: The best "swarm of bees" struck when I was checking coach tire pressure and bumped my head on living room slide rack. That called for immediate shut down of the whole coach! :mad: But, we got 'er did. Keep smilin' ya'll.........