fireflipper

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
I am wondering if everyone with a GM truck is having a problwm with the steering colums ? It seems that all GM trucks have to have the intermedaite steering shaft lubed about every 20,000 miles. I have had to have it done twice, the second time it did not stop the knocking I feel and hear when I hit bumps in the road. My mechanic spent two days trying to get an answer from GM and all they would tell him is, Yes we know there is a problem and we are working on a new design for the colum, and they could not say if the repair would be offered under a warranty or just a bulletin. A bulletin would mean that we as onwers would have to pay for the replacement, when and if it ever is made. Can anyone shed more light on this situation ?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I don't know what year your truck is but there was a new upgrade version. I had to take mine in and the mechanic had a new part and was going to install it but said mine was the new one. He then just greased it and I have not had the problem again so far. My previous 2003 had to be greased also but not sure if it had the newer version.

jpmorgan37

fireflipper;
My 2004 had a problem and the dealer replace some part of it under warranty and I never had the problem again. That's all I can tell you. Sorry I don't have more information on it.

John

ct0218

My steering shaft has not been serviced, and I occasionally have the rattle, just comes and goes, but really not annoying enough to have it serviced.

jimtoo

The steering shaft rattle has been going on since early 90's or maybe earlier. We replaced a ton of them and the new ones did the same thing after time.