When in Elkhart, a great place to eat!

jdcarp2001

We are in Elkhart awaiting parts for repairs on our Bighorn. We went to Middlebury, about 20 miles from where we are staying (RV Capital Service Center) and went to lunch at the Essenhaus, an amish resturant right on US 20. I am originally from Pa. and have been to amish country, the Lancaster Pa area, and enjoy a good home style meal. The Essenhaus did not disapoint me, the food was great and the people treated you like royality. It was as good or even better than the amish food I had been use to. Also the people in the Elkhart area are also friendly, a nice place to visit.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are in Elkhart awaiting parts for repairs on our Bighorn. We went to Middlebury, about 20 miles from where we are staying (RV Capital Service Center) and went to lunch at the Essenhaus, an amish resturant right on US 20. I am originally from Pa. and have been to amish country, the Lancaster Pa area, and enjoy a good home style meal. The Essenhaus did not disapoint me, the food was great and the people treated you like royality. It was as good or even better than the amish food I had been use to. Also the people in the Elkhart area are also friendly, a nice place to visit.

When in the Elkhart area we always make it a point to eat there. Another great place that is great is the Blue Gate just down the road from Essenhaus.

Leno

Hey neighbor, we are here at RV Capital too... Small world. We ate at the Blue Gate yesterday, per the suggestion of Jim Beletti and we enjoyed.

Leno

Send them our way Jim... Always looking for good places to eat. We will be here for several weeks with friends Aug/Sept too.

jbeletti

Okay, here's a start. I will continue to update a list is MS-Word, then later, post it here as a PDF. It won't have your traditional chain restaurants on it as those are easy to find. I'll try to include only places I or people I know have eaten and enjoyed.

Jim

Elkhart, Indiana Area Restaurants

The Golden Egg
- Great breakfast
3421 Plaza Court, Elkhart, IN 46514-6714
(574) 266-6400

Charlies’s Butcher Shop and Deli
- Awesome lunch and desserts – decent deli too
1900 Berry Street, Elkhart, IN 46514-3981
(574) 264-6034

Heinnie’s Back Barn Restaurant [link]
- Very good pork tenderloin sandwich and prime rib dinner
1743 West Lusher Avenue, Elkhart, IN 46517-1442
(574) 522-9101

MC9

Jim, don't forget the Elks Lodge. They let us park overnight there this spring when we had some work done at Capital.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Did someone say FOOD?????

How a bout the LUX Cafe just around the corner from the Elkhart Fairgrounds? Very good breakfast. Yum!

OH OH OH Don't forget about the Southside Soda Shop.

porthole

Retired
Jim - there was a brewpub in town that was a converted theater. I ate there twice and enjoyed both the foods and various alcohol enhanced beverages.

And what is the place with all the cowhide looking decor? Also ate there twice and had good meals.

Long John Silvers on the other hand just plain ...............

Leno

Oh dear, I can see I'm in trouble with all these great places. Thanks everyone and keep em coming..

Tom of Ypsi

The fair is going on right now in Goshen and the place is packed. Traffic is bad so we are staying away from Goshen. Did the Golden Egg yesterday, Eggs Benedict Skillet, and it was good. Four eggs in that bad boy.

Jim - there was a brewpub in town that was a converted theater. I ate there twice and enjoyed both the foods and various alcohol enhanced beverages.

And what is the place with all the cowhide looking decor? Also ate there twice and had good meals.

Long John Silvers on the other hand just plain ...............

Those places don't sound familiar to me Duane. Sound interesting though.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Another great place is Colombo's Family Italian Restaurant
2425 So. Main St.
Elkhart, IN
PH 574-293-6869 (Closed on Mondays)

porthole

Retired
Found one;
Mad Anthony's Old State Ale House
526 S Main St
Elkhart, IN

Attachments

• Mad-Anthonys.jpg
    Mad-Anthonys.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 9

Leno

Tom,
Keep an eye on our home for us while we are gone. Will be back Monday. Let us know if you try Charlie's.
Thanks,
Kevin & Arlene

Tom of Ypsi

Arlene & Kevin,

No problem looking after your house nothing else to do and I am still waiting for insurance person to come around. Kind of looks like we will be loosing some of the crowd this week. Have a good time.