Looking for a place to stay and see the statue of liberty..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are heading toward New York and want to stay in a place where we can go see the statue of liberty, maybe the empire state building, central park and some other attractions.

I can only find Liberty Harbor RV Park Jersey City, NJ. Has anyone stayed there? I looked it up in RV Park Reviews and it does not give a very good review. I looked at it on Bing and it is a paved parking lot and not much room between sites.

Cost on RV Park Reviews showed $60 per night.

Has anyone stayed there or have a suggestion of a park.

Thanks
BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I remember right Liberty Park RV Park is a asphalt parking lot with pedistals to hookup to. Okay for a day or two to see the sights.

porthole

Retired
Bob - How long do plan to stay in the area? If you are planning on just 2-3 days and just to see the sights then give the Liberty park a shot. You will be spending all your time sightseeing, no park amenities can take a back seat.

Personally, if you have 4-6 days you are planning in the area I would look to stay somewhere else. Within an hour of the city you will find woods and hills.
Take an hour ride in the morning and head to Liberty State park. You will spend the day there seeing the Statute and Ellis Island. Even if you don't climb the Statue make sure you get inside and "look up".

Next day you can take a ride to the Weehawkin (New Jersey) ferry and take the ferry over to the city.

Half way across look north and take in the beauty of the George Washington Bridge - then imagine an Airbus 320 setting down in the water on a cold January day, right where you are crossing!

A half day at the Empire, and make sure you go to the top, then maybe head over to South Street Seaport for the nautical sights and dinner.

Another good one for visitors is the Circle Line Ferry, a sightseeing tour. If you have a nice day the views can't be beat from a boat ride.

If you are going to be in the area take the time to see these.

Years ago I had taken day trips with my daughter - 1 day to the Statute, 1 day to the Empire State Building, "will come back next month and have lunch at the Tower", "Windows Of the World".

She never got to go in the Towers.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

ChopperBill

Thanks for the info on Black Bear.. We made a reservation for a week and are going to take the NY Tour that leave's from the park.

I will let you know how it goes.

BC
Even got my attention. I wouldn't want to get one mile closer to NY city than that with an RV!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Did I happen to speak to you at the Nashville Rally or was there another Heartlander asking the same info? Glad to see that you were offered great advice on Camping and NYC.
Porthole...You made me cry... I remember you promising to take our Rachel to Windows of the World for lunch and not now not being able to...
There still remains so many greats sites to see in NYC though and I love that he suggested to see South Street! We have enjoyed a few great memories their even when it was like 20 degrees to see the Singing Christmas Tree!! Thanks for the memories Duane... Love you
We are heading toward New York and want to stay in a place where we can go see the statue of liberty, maybe the empire state building, central park and some other attractions.

I can only find Liberty Harbor RV Park Jersey City, NJ. Has anyone stayed there? I looked it up in RV Park Reviews and it does not give a very good review. I looked at it on Bing and it is a paved parking lot and not much room between sites.

Cost on RV Park Reviews showed $60 per night.

Has anyone stayed there or have a suggestion of a park.

Thanks
BC

khalsey

Glad to help you with the suggestion. There is a very steep hill going to the upper sites at the campground. They have a sign that reads "do not stop on hill" but I don't think anybody would stop anyway.