A little advice for new trailer pullers on bearings and tires.

PUG

Pug
I am and X truck driver that grew up driving the old trucks with non radial tires and the old type of bearings, not the oil bath that most trucks have today. I keep reading about people blowing tires and having bearings burn out. **** will happen occasionally but here is a little advice on how to avoid most of these occurances.

First of all a complete air pressure check of the tires before taking off is essential. Put tires to max air pressure cold as recommended. Give the bearings a couple two or three pumps from a grease gun. The way they are designed it does help but don't overdue it and certainly quit pumping if you notice the expansion spring moving out with the grease pushing it.

WHILE GOING DOWN THE ROAD: I watch my tires on both sides every few minutes in the mirrors. I stop every two hours or so. While stopped put your hand on each tire and feel the temperature. If one feels hotter than the others, check the air pressure and see what is going on. Unless you are driving in 100 + degrees temps you should be able to put your hand on each tire comfortably.

While checking the tires, put your hand on each axle/bearing and again feel the temp. Here again you should be able to put your hand on each comfortably unless you are pulling in hot temps or have been braking a lot. Temperature is the first sign that you have a problem.

They make temp probes the either touch or use a laser type indicator that gives accurate temp readings. These are nice and keeps your hands clean.

Whenever I stop I am looking under the pickup for anything out of place, feeling "all tires and bearings" and generally looking for anything out of place.

I carry a grease gun, a portable air compressor, extra bearings, a heavy duty jack, a spare for the pickup and trailer, and a full set of tools.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good info... do you have a recommendation on the laser heat gages or probes?

I mentioned touching the tires and hubs in an earlier thread on the subject and got blasted about "burning your hands." I've been doing it that way for years. But you approach the surface slowly with the back of your hand when you do. But I recently picked up a laser thermometer at Harbor Freight for $29.99. Just playing around with it at home, it seems to be a decent piece of equipment for the price.