LP Gauge

lplott

I tried searching the forum with several search word varieties and could not find an answer to this probably simple question:

Is it necessary to put an LP fuel gauge on each tank to know which tank is empty and to prevent letting both tanks going empty? I am sure there is a simple and already supplied answer to this, just can not find it.

thanks
Lonnie

branson4020

Icantre Member
The auto-switching regulator on your rig will indicate when the primary tank (the one you have selected with the arrow indicator) is empty. The green dot will turn red. Gas will automatically flow from your secondary tank when this occurs. You just need to check periodically, and if you find the tank empty, switch the arrow on the regulator over to the full tank (the dot will turn green), remove and refill the empty tank, reinstall it and be on your way.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I tried searching the forum with several search word varieties and could not find an answer to this probably simple question:

Is it necessary to put an LP fuel gauge on each tank to know which tank is empty and to prevent letting both tanks going empty? I am sure there is a simple and already supplied answer to this, just can not find it.

thanks
Lonnie

Short answer: No.

That's provided your automatic transfer valve is working correctly. With both tanks known to be full, the selector switch should be pointed to one side or the other. DO NOT POINT IT TO THE MIDDLE. The indicator should be green. When tank #1 empties, the indicator will turn red and the transfer valve will start drawing from tank #2. But the selector will still point to tank #1 until you manually turn it to #2 (or left/right, however you want to look at it). Once you change it to #2 (the indicator will turn green again), shut the tank valve on #1 and take it for refilling. Reinstall it, open the valve, and you're done. The process will reverse itself when tank #2 is empty. If you set the selector to the middle position, both tanks will draw down before the red indicator says they're both empty. But that only occurs in the middle of the night when the temps are in the teeny weenies and canines and felines are falling from the clouds.

Some folks will only open one tank and then manually switch to the second tank when needed. Supposedly guarantees a full tank always available. But brings us back to the middle of the night, rainstorm, and/or temps in the teeny weenies, depending on remembering to look at it.

Personally, when we've been running the furnace at night, I check the tank compartment every morning just to be sure it hasn't switched over in the middle of the night. Actually, a full 30 lb. tank lasts quite a while unless you're in the Arctic. But complacency will get you cold in a hurry if you don't check it.

As for gages on the tanks, they are available (I have two I can't use). Depending on your rig, there isn't enough room for them in the cabinet unless you put longer hoses on the regulator and turn the tanks 90 degrees. Maybe a future mod, just for the heck of it.

View attachment 9539

lplott

My auto switchover does not look like the picture John supplies but I will check this weekend to see if there is any kind of indicator. If not I will take a picture and post.
Thanks again,
Lonnie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Chris, those are the valves that I have, left over from the TT. It seems in my propane cabinet that I'll have to rotate a full 90 degrees to get them in, and use a longer hose on each. One of these days...

Bob, it looks like your indicator is in the center of the thing. That one is different. On our TT, the regulator looked more like the one Bill linked to. And neither of ours will accept the remote indicator that Bill mentions.

So, three 2009 models and one 2008, and three different regulators. Go figure.

porthole

Retired
I use the LED version of the Gas Watch gauge that Costco sell in the spring.
Seems to work OK but it hasn't showed less then "green" yet, so I occasionally will weigh the tank.

I made of an excel spreadsheet for 30 pound tanks to get an idea of the propane remaining. I assumed the full weight to be at 80% of full, which is what fill stations fill at. I have yet to get more then 52 pounds on a full tank.

The spreadsheet is "protected" but without a password. Only protected to be able to tab between valid fields.

Attachments

• propane tank capacity.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 23

lplott

Now I am going to have to admit to being a real bone head. The gauge is built into the selector knob. It is a GREEN/RED bar in the middle of the selector knob. I have not see that before so it just did not click. But it works fine and we have had not problems since.

Thanks for the great advice.