Slide 12v Supply Problem

Willym

A few days ago on my current trip, I lost power to the 12 v lights in the ODS slide. I replaced a bad fuse and checked underneath for wiring problems. No obvious problems were evident. Today, when stopping for lunch, the fridge was dead as were the 12 v lights in the same slide. I replaced the fridge fuse and got it working again, but the 12v lighting circuit had a hard short. After arriving in Anchorage I found the problem. Both 12v cables go into the slide at the rear outside corner. However it appears that the hole for the cable entry was drilled too far toward the trailer interior, and when the slide is closed, the cable come up against some sheet metal work behind the bottom seal in that corner. It looks like steel flashing. The edge of the steel was cutting into the cable and shorting positive to negative. As a temporary fix, I bent the edge of the flashing over a little bit to give room for the cable when the slide is in. I taped up the damaged cable, and restored power.

So other owners with a similar slide, I suggest that you check your cable entry point for signs of interference and damage.

I'm hoping that the cable penetration hole can be drilled further out and the cable rerouted when I get home. Now' I'm going to try my hand at attaching a photo showing the damaged cables.
IMG_0546.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good find Bill. Thanks for sharing. It's also a good self esteem booster when we can find stuff like this and fix it on our own.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The downside is that we still have to find and fix things like this. These are not prototypes we're buying.

Dave_Willis

Bill,

I had the same problem on my trailer after 1 trip, the dealer had to redrill the slide and move the wire further out as it was cutting the wires when the slide would be in. They fixed it about 1 month ago and no problems since.

Dave

yepuhuh

A few days ago on my current trip, I lost power to the 12 v lights in the ODS slide. I replaced a bad fuse and checked underneath for wiring problems. No obvious problems were evident. Today, when stopping for lunch, the fridge was dead as were the 12 v lights in the same slide. I replaced the fridge fuse and got it working again, but the 12v lighting circuit had a hard short. After arriving in Anchorage I found the problem. Both 12v cables go into the slide at the rear outside corner. However it appears that the hole for the cable entry was drilled too far toward the trailer interior, and when the slide is closed, the cable come up against some sheet metal work behind the bottom seal in that corner. It looks like steel flashing. The edge of the steel was cutting into the cable and shorting positive to negative. As a temporary fix, I bent the edge of the flashing over a little bit to give room for the cable when the slide is in. I taped up the damaged cable, and restored power.

So other owners with a similar slide, I suggest that you check your cable entry point for signs of interference and damage.

I'm hoping that the cable penetration hole can be drilled further out and the cable rerouted when I get home. Now' I'm going to try my hand at attaching a photo showing the damaged cables.
View attachment 9545

I had this same problem. I removed the steel flashing and spliced the wires with heat shrink and recaulked it. Hopefully that fix the problem. But I am concerned about the rubber wiper seal a little. Once I close it again I will see how snug it all is.