Edge M22 real life length

jlow5455

Hi,

I'm very new here and I have been looking for a smallish trailer with a slide and room for kids. I found the Edge M22 online but unfortunately there are none nearby in California. I would like to know the real world length as I have read many conflicting numbers on various ads. It LOOKS very long but there is nothing next to it to compare it to. I would also like general impressions from those that have the m22. My husband and I have 4 children ages 4-11. We drive a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. Any info and feedback would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi jlow,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

This the Heartland RVs web site spec page. At the very bottom it states how the measurements are made for the length.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

We purchased an M22 in February and have been using it often this summer. Our trips have all been with four people the wife, a 3yr, an infant and myself. Tow vehicle is a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 extended cab with the 4.8L V8 and automatic transmission. I use a Reese sway control weight distribution system.

I would definitely go with this trailer and WD/SC system again. The truck handles the weight of the trailer fine. I have never felt like the weight of the tow vehicle wasn't enough to control the trailer at any speed. I've even got spare power to pass tourists when needed. I'm glad I didn't go with a heavier trailer on the higher end of the truck's towing capacity though. I think I would feel underpowered and get pushed around by the trailer too much.

I've taken several long trips including one Anchorage to Valdez and Anchorage to Homer twice with the trailer. Both those trips include significant mountain driving in Thompson and Turnagain passes respectively. This truck pulls the trailer with no problem. I take the long climb up the passes at a steady 45 MPH. The truck could easily do the speed limit of 55 on those passes but the steady state engine speed is around 4500 RPM at that speed and grade. Although it probably wouldn't hurt anything, I'm not in so much of a hurry that I've wanted to run the engine that fast to maintain speed limit up pass.

On flat road sections with 65 MPH speed limit the setup pulls fine too. The gearing in the transmission isn't ideal for this speed, I find the truck shifting up and down every couple minutes and fluctuating +/- 2 MPH even on a flat section of road. I go ahead force the truck into 3rd which driving this section of the road. I've not driven faster that 65 but I suspect the engine RPM would come up enough to stay in 4th most of the time, if you were willing to drive any faster.

The WD system is set to the minimum weight transfer position. The truck and trailer ride level. When the fresh water/propane is full and both waste tanks empty the truck sits down just a little in back. I've tried the next WD setting up though and it's just too much. I'm probably the only one who notices. It's not near bottomed out on the truck suspension of course.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/66151.html

The trailer itself has been great. It's perfect sized for the four of us and I believe will continue to be as the boys grow up. I don't think you'll have a problem with the four kids. I wanted the bunks because I didn't want to convert the table to a bed every night in whatever trailer we got. Now that I've had this trailer with this truck I don't think I would go larger even if it meant dealing with the table to bed transition at night.

I've had a couple minor issues but Heartland has done a great job working with a service center here in Anchorage. The dealer is about an hour one way from me so I'm thrilled that Heartland has let a local RV service center (Karen's RV) repair my unit. This is my first trailer new or old so I don't know what to expect really. I suspect the couple problems I have had are fairly common for a new trailer once it's been bounced down the road a few thousand miles.

Us and the boys are going to make some great memories in this thing! Take the plunge!

As for your trailer length question, I just measured 26 feet from rear bumper to hitch end. Hope that helps. I'm not running a WDH, but it probably makes sense for many vehicles. Here's my somewhat recent review of the Edge M22:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16612-2010-Edge-M22-and-first-trip-complete