Warranty Info

pam007

We made an appt today with a Big Horn authorized dealer to do some warranty work on our 3055 5th wheel. We were asked by the service department if we purchased the trailer from them. We didn't purchase it there so they told us that Heartland doesn't cover the full cost of the warranty work and that we would have to pick up whatever costs were not covered being we did not purchase from them.
How can this be why should it matter?
Has anyone else experienced this before?
Thanks

PSF513

Never heard of such a thing. I know a couple folks who have had warranty work done other places with no issues. Maybe a call to Heartland Customer Service is in order.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Were that true and it got out, Heartland would see their sales plummet. Sounds more like a sleazy attempt to line someone's pockets.

noobee

I think that the dealer's position is very reasonable. If Heartland only pays for part of what this dealer would charge for any out-of-warranty work, then he should expect that he should pick-up the difference. It seems that the dealer wouldn't charge this difference if the dealer had sold him the unit.

CS

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think that the dealer's position is very reasonable. If Heartland only pays for part of what this dealer would charge for any out-of-warranty work, then he should expect that he should pick-up the difference. It seems that the dealer wouldn't charge this difference if the dealer had sold him the unit.

CS

Where do you get "out of warranty work"...the OP's unit is still under warranty???

hoefler

I would suggest you pose this question to " Ask the factory " thread, they may want to correct this promptly.

We made an appt today with a Big Horn authorized dealer to do some warranty work on our 3055 5th wheel. We were asked by the service department if we purchased the trailer from them. We didn't purchase it there so they told us that Heartland doesn't cover the full cost of the warranty work and that we would have to pick up whatever costs were not covered being we did not purchase from them.
How can this be why should it matter?
Has anyone else experienced this before?
Thanks

Pam,

Heartland pays from a flat rate book for warranty work. Some dealers do not care to be paid on that basis. But that is how we do it. I don't think we're alone in this area either. It's a shame that the dealer wants you to pay more than we pay them.

Please contact your service rep at Heartland Customer Service to discuss. Have your VIN ready when you make this call - 877-262-8032.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pam,

Heartland pays from a flat rate book for warranty work. Some dealers do not care to be paid on that basis. But that is how we do it. I don't think we're alone in this area either. It's a shame that the dealer wants you to pay more than we pay them.

Please contact your service rep at Heartland Customer Service to discuss. Have your VIN ready when you make this call - 877-262-8032.

Jim

Maybe dealers that do this should not be on the authorized repair center list. Or at least a notification be put with their name: USE AT OWN RISK. It's very hard to rationalize a Heartland approved dealer that won't honor a Heartland warranty because you didn't buy it there when you're miles from home. Scheduling the work may give "customers" a priority, but the cost should not be flexible. Who makes up the difference when one of their own customers comes in with a warranty claim?

RoadJunkie

Pam,

Heartland pays from a flat rate book for warranty work. Some dealers do not care to be paid on that basis.

I would expect that agreement to the "flat rate book" charging schedule for warranty work would be made prior to becoming a Heartland authorized dealer? I was also asked if I purchased my rig for a repairing dealer, but that was the end of it and they did a great job in getting my issues resolved. Something is weird here.

camr

I believe the best thing that Pam could do is mention the name of the dealer who is playing games. It is in Heartlands best interest to have all dealers playing fairly. This particular problem dealer would hate to lose a sale from a customer who had a similar disappointing experience from another Heartland dealer playing the same games. Perhaps Heartland can keep this in mind when it comes time to renew a dealership agreement. What goes around comes around!!!!

jbeletti

...Perhaps Heartland can keep this in mind when it comes time to renew a dealership agreement. What goes around comes around!!!!

Heartland has been alerted to this thread and issue with full information about Pam. The benefit for me with Club members is I have all their RV info (VIN especially). This helps when I see something that needs to be teed up to Service or whomever.

I don't know how this will come out as I am not close to these matters but I am hopeful it works out well. I see some other questions in some of the replies. The factory does not monitor this sub-forum, so there will be no answers to anything except those items that I may know the answer to and then only if I see them. The success of this forum now means that I can no longer read every thread and post made. I try to float all over, scanning and reading as much as I can though :)

For anyone reading this, if you are having difficulty with your dealer, I suggest you phone Heartland Customer Service and have a friendly (not demanding) call with your Service Rep. They will always do what they can to assist you.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well I would love to see an Auto Manufacturers dealer try to pull that off. They pay warranty claims the same way. You get what they pay the dealer. No ups...no extras...and you can't charge the customer the difference. The factory zone rep would pounding at the service managers door. Then there would be an audit....furr would fly...."IT JUST WOULD GET UGLY" from there. My 2cts

jimtoo

Well I would love to see an Auto Manufacturers dealer try to pull that off. They pay warranty claims the same way. You get what they pay the dealer. No ups...no extras...and you can't charge the customer the difference. The factory zone rep would pounding at the service managers door. Then there would be an audit....furr would fly...."IT JUST WOULD GET UGLY" from there. My 2cts

For sure,,,, If a dealer will not do warranty work for everyone,,, they should not be allowed to sell the product.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had Camperland in Conroe Texas tell me the same thing. They said Heartland only pays a certain flat rate for a warranty repair and if it took them longer to do the repair then I would need to pay the difference. For example if they were only paid 3/4 of an hour labor to do a repair and took them 1 hour I would have to pay the 15 minutes difference. I told them they were full of sh.., and that is not how a warranty works. I don't do business with them anymore either. I think we should name names of the the dealers that treat customers that way and then they won't have customer any more when the word gets out.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, I could have told you about Camperland and their warranty and "service" attitude. I don't buy anything from them and certainly don't recommend them to anyone.

pam007

Hello,
Wanted to update you. I did call customer service today they were fantastic they informed me that all warranty work is covered and that the dealer should not be charging us for any approved work. After speaking to customer service I called the dealer where we will be taking our Big Horn told them I had spoken to customer service and what they told me, the dealer agreed not to charge us anything for the approved warranty work :)
I want to thank everyone for their replies this is a great forum.
Pam

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Pam, I would bet you money, marbles or chalk that you were not the only person they got a call from. I wonder if his initials were C.B. or maybe J.F. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPSY