Fridge Light On or Off?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The light in our fridge burnt out and we found a replacement. When I put it in, I discovered that the door switch isn't working. No wonder it burned out so fast. This also explains why my house battery went nearly dead after 3 days of not being plugged in while at the dealer for other minor issues. That little 10 watt halogen uses quite a bit of juice not to mention helping cut down on the cooling effectiveness of the fridge. Now what I need to figure out is how to remove the switch. It seems to be attached to the top panel with nylon rivets and I'm not sure if something will break if I pull too hard trying to remove. We have the 10 cu.ft. with the icemaker. Anyone know how to remove the switch? The owners instruction manual and install manual are of no help. Thanks in advance

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I resolved my issue with the light by calling Dometic. I found out that when the Low Ambient switch is on, the fridge light stays on and runs on 12 volts. The owners manual explains the reason but doesn't indicate anything regarding the light. This also explains why my battery went flat after 3 days of not being plugged in at the dealers while in for service.