Battery Level Dropping...why?

Our first time out with our 3200 FK. We are hooked up to 50 amp. I notice the battery indicator dropped from "G" to "L" since we set-up camp about 6 hours ago. Any advice on the reason and solution? I am disconnecting the battery until I figure this out. Thanks.

2010augusta

depending what converter you have, it could be a maintenance cycle. I would check the out put of the converter with the batteries disconnected, to make sure it is working. it should output about 14 volts DC.

depending what converter you have, it could be a maintenance cycle. I would check the out put of the converter with the batteries disconnected, to make sure it is working. it should output about 14 volts DC.

Unfortunately, as a newbie that is a little above my head at this time. However, when I disconnected the battery the A/C and refrigerator stopped working. Why would that happen?

Assuming you have the Progressive Dynamic converter, the troubleshooting is contained in the manual. This link is from the Tools tab.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...200_Series_Progressive_Dynamics_Converter.pdf

I don't know what brand converter I have or where it is located. No documentation on the converter with the package received from the dealer. I reconnected the battery and the A/C and refrigerator turned back on. The lights are much dimmer than they were earlier, so I assume the converter may not be working.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Not sure about the A/C but the refrigerator requires 12V battery power to operate the control panel. I had the same experience and talked to the local RV shop about it and that is what they told me.

Northern Virginia
Sounds like your converter is on the blink. Try turning the circuit breaker for the converter off and then back on. Could also be a blown fuse in the converter. As for the a/c, the controls are 12 volts which is why it may not run with the 12 volts (battery) disconnected. Hopefully, just the circuit breaker for the converter tripped.

Good luck,
John

Sounds like your converter is on the blink. Try turning the circuit breaker for the converter off and then back on. Could also be a blown fuse in the converter. As for the a/c, the controls are 12 volts which is why it may not run with the 12 volts (battery) disconnected. Hopefully, just the circuit breaker for the converter tripped.

Good luck,
John

I hooked up a charger to the battery and was able to restore the charge. However, when I disconnected is started discharging again. There must be a problem with the converter. I called the dealer and will be dropping the TT off this week. I suspect the initial drain on the battery may be a problem also, and I will also be asking for a replacement.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know what brand converter I have or where it is located. No documentation on the converter with the package received from the dealer. I reconnected the battery and the A/C and refrigerator turned back on. The lights are much dimmer than they were earlier, so I assume the converter may not be working.

Then I would suggest you try opening up the basement wall and locate where it is. Identify it and download the appropriate manual for it.

Unless HL has changed, they were using Progressive Dynamic's converters. I doubt there are too many different places to mount it in your floorplan, so perhaps another 3200FK owner can tell you where to look.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It could be your battery has a dead cell also. If so it will not hold a charge. Before condeming the converter check the voltage output to at the battery cables to see if it is charging.

lwmcguir

As Jim says, test the battery. You really cant test it correctly without using a load/voltage tester.

As Jim says, test the battery. You really cant test it correctly without using a load/voltage tester.

Thanks for all the advice. The charger worked like a champ and got us through the weekend. I'm going to let the dealer handle the troubleshooting and resolution. We found a few additional, yet minor concerns while on our shake-down trip that the dealer needs to resolve in addition to the problems the dealer discovered prior to the PDI. Dropping the TT off Tuesday for resolution in advance of our trip in two weeks to Pigeon Forge, Tn to ride the Dragon's Tail at Deals Gap, and then on to Bristol for the NASCAR event.