Last step in Refrigerator solution

DougAndJudy

After adding the baffles, insulation, and fan bypass switch as mentioned in these and other threads:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17563-Refrig-modifications-seem-to-be-working

and

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16459-Refrigerator-Question?highlight=refrigerator

I thought we had our Dometic refrigerator cooling problem solved.

Then we drove 4 hours to a new site, with the fridge running on LP (auto) while we traveled. The fridge temps were nice and low when we arrived but soon started to rise. They went up to 50 and only dropped a few degrees overnight, where previously they were staying in the mid 30s. Fearing the cooling unit had failed, I called Dometic. I explained that I had done all the mods suggested. He suggested to turn the fridge off for 10-20 minutes to let the coolants return to their normal states.

That did the trick! After turning the fridge back on, the temps started to drop! In a few hours, the temps had returned to the mid 30s and have stayed that way for 3 days!

Based on this, I am going to add a task to our setup checklist:

Right after moving and getting set up, turn off the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes then turn it back on.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That is intresting to hear. I guess I am a bit ahead of the game...

We turn off the refer when we move. Turn off the propane. When we arrive at the new campground (about a 4-5hr drive) we setup and turn the refer back on using electric. Never have a problem with the refer getting cold.

Who'da thought. LOL

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After hearing the presentation by Mac the Fire Guy at the Nat'l Rally, we have just started to do the same as Bobcat. Turn off the reefer and the propane. Our reasoning was from a fire hazard safety standpoint but it now appears there may be a secondary reason as well Thanks for the info.

lwmcguir

It is important that the trailer be towed as level as you can get it. If not you need to let it settle be for starting it up. We have always left ours on Propane for the past 40 years or so when towing due to the time and loss of temps in the freezer. However the coaches have always been nearly level as well. I don't disagree with turning them off if you are on shorter trips but that don't work well on longer runs. And perhaps things have changed with the new versus the old units.

wdk450

The fire safety alternative for running your refrig down the road is to upgrade the 12 volt charging circuit from your tow vehicle's alternator (battery) to the trailer's battery with a seperate, larger, truck wiring cable, seperate trailer connectors (with a larger wire ground connection to the trailer,), seperate 12 volt charging wiring in the trailer, and a 12 volt to 110 volt inverter (with outlet power switching) dedicated to the refrigerator AC outlet only. Then you can run down the road running the refrig on the much fire safer 110 volt heating element.
There is a 12 volt charging wire and ground in the trailer's 7 way connector, but the wiring is too small for the amount of current needed to power the refrig.