New Goodyear tires

ct0218

I spent some time Saturday pricing new tires for my dually, and when I made my 1st stop I got out of my truck and noticed I had a sidewall separation on my Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. They were pretty good tires, about 44K on them, and a lot better than the OEM tires. I had planned on waiting until I was a little closer to snow-time, but this changed everything. I had been researching tires, and either going back with the Duelers or the new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. A total sidewall separation ruled out the Bridgestones (another showed signs it was going also), so I settled on the Goodyears. Sears had the best price I could find in the mountains, open on weekends, and I am really impressed with this tire. A much more aggressive tread, quieter, smoother riding, kevlar belted, and a 50K warranty. Supposedly even better in the snow too. Six of them in LT215/85R16E ran $1200, with metal HP valve stems, lifetime balance and rotation, etc., and out the door. Goodyear also has this tire in a Pro-grade, supposedly tougher, but not made in my size. Anyone needing tires might want to check out this new Goodyear tire.

jbeletti

Good info Clark - thanks. I have about 42k on the OEM tires on my Dodge (General Tires I think). Tread wear is great. Just had them rotated last week. Guess I better give them a good look myself.

Jim

ct0218

I've had Michelin M&S tires, and they get good mileage, but were not good in the snow. You've seen my road, boy it is often a challenge in the winter, and I average 3-4+ ft a year of snow. You probably have similar conditions to mine. Most AT tires are loud, and get poor mileage life, but these appear to buck the trend. Going from the street OEM Goodyears to the Bridgestones was a big jump in overall quality, and these seem to be as big a jump again. They're definitely more comfortable riding (at the same psi).

jbeletti

Not sure what to expect from my OEM tires but I hope to get 50-60k out of them. By then, you'll have a 10-20k report for us on yours. And yeah, that road (mountain) of yours is killer, I am sure in some spots my rear duals were spinning.

Jim

RugRat

Now that you have about 6 months on your Goodyears, do you still like them? I am debating between the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO. Overall, I have negotiated the price to where they are about the same with lifetime balance, rotation and road hazard. Goodyears would come from their Gemini Service Shop and BF Goodrich would be from CostCo. Opinions?

ct0218

I still like them, and would put them on my wifes Armada but Goodyear doesn't make the right size in the Silent Armor. I think it takes 265/70R18. But, I would say that is is the best tire I have ever owned. Great traction, 50K warranty, quiet and comfortable riding.

ash289

Now that you've had your tires for a while - Do you still like them?
One post on the Diesel Shop said that they wear out fast when towing.
Also, are yours the E rated pro series?
I've got to get new tires immediately.
I'm also looking at Michelins...
Any thoughts or suggestions?

ct0218

Mine are E's and they are wearing well. They should make the 50K miles I had hoped for. Even with the Hunter 9700 though balancing was tough. I think there was a bad batch because I have heard others say that they had the same problem. Sears replaced 3 of mine in the first 6 months because they (nor anyone else) could balance them. The Michelin LTX M&S will last longer and ride smoother but has more of a street tread and most say it does not do as good on ice and snow. Michelin has a new truck tire with a little more aggressive tread and better ratings but it is hard to find, can't remember the exact model. With the price of oil these days the tire prices have started to really jump up.

ash289

I decided to go with the Michelin LTX A/T (E)
They come in black walls only.
I hope they do well. They cost enough!