Using rear ladder for bike rack

guitarpicr

Just wondering if the ladder bike racks (2 bike carrier) are ok to use on the sundance trailers? Thanks

jbeletti

Some people do this - but it's not typically recommended as it's easy to overload most RV ladders. It's not just the static weight of the bikes, it's the dynamic/momentum weight of them bouncing back there.

Some have had success, others have not. Please be careful on loading if you do store them there.

Jim

hoefler

Personally I would not recommend it. If you have ever followed someone with any thing tied to the ladder, you think, what would happen if it came off? Most of what I have seen, has been swinging and bouncing around. I removed my ladder after discovering all of the plastic ends that mount the rungs to the rails were broken or cracked severely. I have new plastic ends to replace all of them, but decided to leave it off and carry a folding ladder for now since we are not packed to the gills.

Last edited:

lhetsler

I would not do it. I have had bike racks on every unit I have owned and have had to weld extra supports for them. There is an unbelievable amount of energy in those bouncing bikes. The one I have now is an expensive one that goes into a 2 inch hitch receiver I had welded to the Bighorn. On 5 week trip to Colorado from Ohio, the bouncing motion of the bikes bent part of the rack and I had to use some 1/2 npt black pipe to repair and strengthen it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's what we use for our bikes and love it!! It folds up when not holding the bikes....The Swagman XC Bike rack holds 2 bikes... there is even a video showing you how it works...

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SG64650PS.html

Unless you have a hitch receiver mounted to the rear of your trailer, how do you pull with that rack in place?? Back with the TT, I would remove the front tires so I could rotate the handle bars parallel to the frames and lay them on a tarp spread on the bed. With the 5'er on a seasonal site, the bikes go up the second trip and home the one before the last.