Installing polyethylene flat strips to bottom edges of slides

RVFun4Us

After reading this forum a couple of months ago, I looked at the bottom of my living room slide and it indeed had places where the black plastic material had rubbed down to the bare plywood, right along the slide edges. I talked to a few Big Horn owners and they installed the polyethylene strips made by Parkland RV Products and procured through Heartland. One owner actually jacked his slide up on each side to allow the strip to go inside to the front beveled edge of the slide, then all the way to the outside edge. He jacked up one end at a time using a ten ton bottle jack on top of supporting material underneath the jack. Since the kit I ordered from Heartland does not have directions, only the material and the 105 adhesive caulk, I was wondering if this is the approved method for installing these strips or can I just mount using the adhesive backed strip and 105 adhesive and mount as close to the inside edge of the slide as I can when the slide is extended.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Heartland put my strips on at the Goshen Rally in 2009. They did not jack up the slides but put it as far back up as possible.

They applied the glue on the strip in a wide wavy manor and told me not to pull the slide in until the next day.

I have read posts where some rised the slide up with a jack so they could get the strip under it and further back. That might be a god deal.

So it looks like you could go either way.

BC

RVFun4Us

Thanks BC for the reply. I put on the 1 1/2 inch roof edge flashing that Alan included in another post on the corner edges of both my living room and entertainment slides. Also bought the material from HD for under $10. Was fairly easy to apply and saved the shipping costs if I ordered from Heartland. aatauses suggests that the polyethylene strips be butted up against the corner edge pieces and he raised the slide and put them under the beveled leading edge of the slide. Now my slides were chipping along the edges of the slides where the corner pieces are now installed. If I butt the strips against those pieces, they will be mounted away from where the chipping was taking place and the corner angle pieces will be taking the abuse from the slides I believe.

So I wonder if installing the strips will do any good next to the corner angle pieces. Will they protect the plywood under the slide in this location? Also wonder what Heartland recommends as to jacking up the slide to install strips versus putting them as far in as possible as you had done. Since Heartland did your install, it seems that would be the preferred way. Just would like input so I install them the recommended way.

Bob

beardedone

Beardedone
I have been trying to follow this subject but sometimes too much info blurs the big picture. I was sent some stuff by Heartland, including the metal corner pieces, what looks a roll of wallpaper trim and six plastic pieces about 6" long x 1" x 1/4". No instructions. I have no idea how that wall paper stuff can help. Has anybody seen this or know what to do with, except the metal pieces which I obviously know.

I was thinking of using "puck board", used to line hockey rinks, under the slideouts to protect it from the rollers, has anyone tried that?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm also interested in what the factory recommended procedure is. I could jack the slides, like aatauses did, but if it's unnecessary labor, then call me lazy. I had the aluminum trim pieces made in 3 ft sections at a siding dealer for $12 so I wouldn't have to deal with 10 ft pieces of roof edge. I've got three of the Parkland kits, but I think I might leave the entertainment slide as is (it's the lightest one) and use one of the kits on the bedroom slide. Although it came with the edges trimmed, it is very obvious where the slide rollers run, even though it's only been operated less than half a dozen times. My other slides don't show any wear. but did show a little bit of flaking near the underside edge from water.

RVFun4Us

JohnDar,

I only ordered two of the kits but may have to order the third. Living room slide and bedroom slide both show flaking. Entertainment slide doesn't show any from the outside but when I had this slide retracted, I felt under the leading edge and could tell there is flaking there. Probably why running the strips up to the beveled edge is a good idea. Also, I think instead of butting the strips to the edge of the angle edge pieces, I might just put the strips over them. The angle edge pieces are very thin aluminum so I don't think there would be a thickness problem. Doing this would also protect the edges from the rollers. No reply from the factory yet on how to install. May have to give them a call on Monday and see if I can get a live person to recommend the install.

JohnDar

Sounds good, Bob. I got three kits, thinking I'd be proactive, even though the only slide showing any roller wear is the bedroom slide. Lifting that one up is not possible without a forklift or a stack of cribbing over five feet tall. My other slides don't show any wear and only a slight bit of edge flaking. But now they're all capped with aluminum. Placing the plastic slats over the aluminum should not be a problem due the the thin gauge of the metal. It'll be interesting to hear what the "official" method is.

RVFun4Us

JohnDar,

I thought about the same thing dealing with the bedroom slide. I do have rub marks and flaking there also. If you pull the bottom gasket back, you will see a roller on each end of the bedroom slide. I think I will put the strip butted right up against that roller. The roller is slightly wider than the strips but I think by centering it on the roller, it will remove the direct pressure on the slide bottom and hopefully cure the problem. After calling Heartland tomorrow, I will begin the install and will let you know how it went and what Heartland says.

Bob

RVFun4Us

porthole: I will try to take pictures while installing these strips but am waiting for Heartlands response for proper installation before beginning (see under "Ask the Factory"). Other members have posted pictures of their installs including the corner angle pieces. You might search under delamination and polyethylene strips.

nemo45

Thanks BC for the reply. I put on the 1 1/2 inch roof edge flashing that Alan included in another post on the corner edges of both my living room and entertainment slides. Also bought the material from HD for under $10. Was fairly easy to apply and saved the shipping costs if I ordered from Heartland. aatauses suggests that the polyethylene strips be butted up against the corner edge pieces and he raised the slide and put them under the beveled leading edge of the slide. Now my slides were chipping along the edges of the slides where the corner pieces are now installed. If I butt the strips against those pieces, they will be mounted away from where the chipping was taking place and the corner angle pieces will be taking the abuse from the slides I believe.

So I wonder if installing the strips will do any good next to the corner angle pieces. Will they protect the plywood under the slide in this location? Also wonder what Heartland recommends as to jacking up the slide to install strips versus putting them as far in as possible as you had done. Since Heartland did your install, it seems that would be the preferred way. Just would like input so I install them the recommended way.

Bob

I too installed the roof edge flashing strips as Alan did and they seem to be doing the job. I didn't jack up the slide and just put them as far in as I could. I also added a 1" drywall screw at the end nearest the camper wall just in case the strip wanted to pull down when putting the slide in. I only put them on the long curbside slide because that was the only one showing the delamination. Just wondering why you are installing the ones from Heartland? Are the flashing strips not doing the job?

Last edited:

JohnDar

Don,
The aluminum corner strips are to protect the exposed edges of the plywood floor under the slide from water running down the side and being absorbed. The wide plastic strips are to protect the floor from the effects of running over the rollers when extended/retracted. Separately, they will not do both.

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I did not get directions with my kits either, but when I called HL for ideas they said to jack up the slides to put the flat pieces on, but the angles on the edges did not need to go under the slides, so I just put them(the angles) in towards the slide as far as I could.
As far as pictures, if you look on one of my post you can see how I did it (do not know how to create a link to that site)
Mine have been on for about 9 months now and seem to be working fine.
If I can help in any other way, please give me a note.
al

JohnDar

I think on the aluminum edge covers, at least, that you want to get it behind the outer rubber seal to keep water from running over any exposed edge. When I did mine, I was able to completely remove the existing trim piece on all but one side of the kitchen slide. Seems they stuck a screw way back in there to hold the trim piece that I could not get at. So I just pried it enough to stick the angle piece under the trim up to the screw and left it at that. But it was still behind the outer seal.

View attachment 9675

RVFun4Us

Just a confirmation. Jacking up the slide is for putting the polyethylene strips on, not for mounting the corner angle pieces. I did get a request from Kary at Heartland for more information. I provided that via email and posted my reply along with pictures under Big Horn "Ask the Factory" area. It will show once the moderator approves.

JohnDar

Still can't "picture" what all this is about - maybe it doesn't affect Cyclone"s

Duane, if you look under your two slides at the side edges and can see the plies in the plywood floor, then you might want to consider installing the aluminum caps. If they're already capped from the factory, then you're good to go on that part. Mine looked pretty good, but on close inspection I could see a little bit of flaking from the edges was starting to occur from water running down and setting on the edges. The plastic strips, if needed/desired, would be attached to the underside of the floor, inboard from the aluminum cap for the slide rollers (the ones mounted to the floor inside the trailer, not on the slide) to run on to prevent chipping and damage.

RVFun4Us

Decided to install the polyethylene strips up to the edge of the slide nylon strip and butted up against the corner angle pieces on the bottom of the slides. My dealer cautioned about jacking up the slides possibly throwing the mechanisms out of balance. That was enough for me. I was concerned about that going in and didn't want to take the chance and then have the slides adjusted. So will see how it goes. As I mentioned in the "Ask the Factory" forum, a nonanswer from a dealer or manufacturer is probably more of their concern for liability if something was to go wrong.

Bob

JohnDar

So, I take it there was no problem with the slides hanging up at the leading edge of the polyethylene strips (other than what you mentioned). I've been waiting with baited breath (fishing stinks, so I ate the worms) for how you were going to do it.

porthole

Retired
I guess now I see why I don't "see" what you all are referring too.

The Cyclone has sealed up nicely trimmed and sealed edges with no exposed areas that should not be exposed.