What is your adjustment setting on B&W Companion?

kidkaboom1

Hi everyone,

This is my first RV. I have a 2011 F-450 I picked up last night with B&W Companion and my 2011 Cyclone 3950 I picked up today. Again, I am new to this and want to make sure I have things set up right. On the way home I noticed a severe lateral push/pull sensation. Is this normal? I currently have the Companion on the lowest and furthest back setting. Any information you pro's could give would be greatly appreciated.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Are you talking about a push/pull with in the hitch or the trailer on the truck.

If you do not have the Companion properly installed you will get a movement in the entire hitch and it can damage the U-Bolts. If it is a movement or Chucking between the trailer and TV it could be how you have your trailer connected. Is it level when connected to the TV?

Your Companion receiver bar should be far enough down into the receiver so the top hole is being used to connect the receiver bar inside the fender on the drivers side. Check the bolt on top of the receiver bar and make sure it is down as far as possible so you are using the top hole in the receiver bar allowing you to tighten the bolt on the top properly. The bolt on top of the receiver bar needs to be tightened to 40psi and the U-Bolts should be 80psi. If you have any questions PM me and I will give you my phone number if needed.

BC

trvlrerik

I have mine set at one set of bolt holes from the bottom to clear my bed sides and fully forward (towards the truck cab). I also have the slanted uprights set so the weight is set forward as well. This setting has the weight of my pinbox nearly directly centered over my rear axel. I am not noticing any severe chucking back and forth of my trailer. My trailer behavior is changed more by shifting weight in the garage to balance out loads.

kidkaboom1

Thanks everyone for the input. I've readjusted the position of the arms. Checked torque (ok). I have to get the inspection done on Monday, so I'll find out how she does. I was going to invest in a bagged pin box (cheaper than spine surgery and dentures :) Thanks again!!!!

Cyclone

I have a 2009 F-450 and a 2009 Cyclone 3950 and I also have the B&W Conpanion hitch. I also have the hitch in the lowest position but in the middle position.It pulls very well in that spot so I haven't moved it any further. You do need to know though that the 3/4 hold down bolt that you torque to 40 ft pounds will ring off sometimes so beware.Mine did it and I contacted B&W and they sent me a new post and bolt. Just watch the side to side roll because it gets close at times.