Need truck advice for BH 3410 RE or BH 3610 RE

Denbill

Hi all, I' m close to sign the papers for a Bighorn, 3610RE or 3410RE, I need a Truck too. I have a 1 ton Diesel in mind but need advices from the experts here around the fire.
Should I go for a manuel or auto transmission, SRW or DRW, 4X2 or 4W4 ?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Truck

Well Bill, Welcome to the Heartland forum. It's good that you are considering a 1 ton. The newer trucks with auto trans are much more advanced and fine for towing so unless you like shifting go for the automatic.
As for SRW or DRW, you will receive opinions for both. With the DRW you have more tires to maintain but better ground contact for breaking and better stability. Some say it doesn't matter. I have a dually and like it. In fact, I lost air in an inside tire a couple weeks ago. That other tire got me safely off the highway and to a good spot for repair. Had I not had a dually, no telling what may have happened.
Mine is also a 4x2 because I have no intension of getting into snow. Some owners swear by the 4x4. It's your call on that one. Good luck deciding and we hope to see you in a Heartland soon.

hoefler

Todays autos are out of this world. If you ever get caught in stop and go traffic, you will really appreciate them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I can speak to both srw and drw as well as 2 wheel and 4 wheel. My previous was a 99 F350 SRW 2wheel drive long bed. I towed both an Alfa Gold and our Landmark with it and had almost 150000 miles on it when it decided to go not more. I had not problems towing with the single rear wheels even in high 35 mph cross winds however in the high cross winds you could really feel the 5er back there. On one occasion I was in a campground driving to the campsite and had to go up a steep gravel hill with a curve at the top. I barely made it as the rear wheels spun in the gravel. On one other occasion we were at the Escapade at the Missouri fairgrounds in Sedalia. The campsites were on the grass. After two days of rain we got stuck when we were leaving and had to be pulled out (by a 4 wheel drive Ford Pickup).

Our current tow vehicle is a 2010 Ford F350 dually 4 wheel drive long bed. Although we have not gotten stuck on two different occasions we were in a gravel campsite that had a soft spot which got mushy after a rain. When leaving I put the truck in lowrange and got right out without trouble. Also when towing the vehicle feels much more stable with the dually.

My recommendation would be get a 1 ton dually and for my money 4 wheel drive as you might not tow in snow but if you camp on gravel or grassy spots the rain could sure make you spot had to get into or out of. BTW on two occasions I boiled the transmission fluid out (no transmission damage) of the two wheel drive truck backing into an uphill campsite. Don't think that will be a problem with the 4 wheel drive. MHO

ChopperBill

The 3/4 - 1 ton jargon is out of the picture. Means nothing the last few years. Look at the tow and weight handling specs. Today's "3/4" ton will pull the pants off yesterdays "1" ton. I am personally drooling over the "11" GMC's. So much in fact my daughters inheritance is in severe jeopardy!

new

Re. Truck I can speak from experience, had another brand 34 ft.. Pulled with a super duty 2004 F-250 Supercab short bed 4x4. While in the hills, mts. etc, windy rds of Ky. my wife was very up-set that the rig was very unstable. Get out of this state she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Got a new 07 Ford F350 crew cab short bed 4x4 12,800 gvw, troubles over. She even pulls our new 2011 Bighorn 3385RL with all the bells and whistles ??. We have pulled out 2 whl drives fro wet and soggy areas. We live in NW. Pa. plenty of snow. My F350 sets in the garage all Winter. Use only for pulling. I would suggest heavy duty 1 ton based on exper. Regards. New 1752

noobee

Hi all, I' m close to sign the papers for a Bighorn, 3610RE or 3410RE, I need a Truck too. I have a 1 ton Diesel in mind but need advices from the experts here around the fire.
Should I go for a manuel or auto transmission, SRW or DRW, 4X2 or 4W4 ?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Bill

You also should consider what type of rear end gear to get... I got the 4.10 on mine just to give me the comfort of the extra weight.

CS

Geonkat

Denbill,

Since we just took delivery of our 3410 last week, I can't offer any expert advice. I can tell you some of the things we considered in our selection.
1) auto vs manual: Unless you just like shifting, the auto is a no brainer. With my Dodge, the auto with 4.10 axle gains 3,000 lbs in tow rating and GCWR over the stick.
2) 4x2 vs 4x4? You'll get a lot of opinions on this, so go with what you need. I opted for the 4x2 because with the Dodge, I gained 440 lbs more usable payload. My other trucks have been 4x2 and never had a problem. When we get snow around here, our Jeep Grand Cherokee does great.
3) SRW vs DRW: Since we don't full time, our truck is our get-around / sightseeing vehicle. With the Dodge, DRW requires a long bed and the size is not as easy to get to Wallyworld. If the size is not a concern, the DRW would probably be best in either case.
3410 vs 3610: If we had gone with the 3610, I probably would have gone with a DRW truck because of the extra weight.
You are in a good position since you don't already have the truck. Pick the trailer you like and match up the truck. Run the numbers over and over until you are comfortable with the match.

Good luck and happy camping.

PUG

Pug
I didn't retire trucking but drove for six years hauling livestock with semi and truck and 4 wheel trl in nasty **** spots.

I have a 3950 which is about 18.5 k. I pulled it for two years with a 3/4 ton 02 Chev Duramax boosted by + 75 hp. Stock at 225 was hard pulling but with added poop it helped but glad I put pyro and boost on it or I would have smoked it. The chev was SWR and it spooked me even with heavier rated tires and air bags that if I ever blew one I would go for a **** of a ride. It was a little squishy too handling.

Last year I purchased a 09 Ram 1 ton with the cummings, auto, 4 wd, short box, mega cab, Laramie. I looked at Chev again because I did like it but they would not deal at all and I couldn't get it in a short box. There cab wasn't as big as the mega. I looked at Ford and was spooked with it having a brand new engine this year but I have heard so far they are doing ok. I had had a Dodge years ago and it was a piece of crap but over the last three years I have been talking to everyone I could at campgrounds about their trucks. They all liked whatever they had.

I found this 09 Ram after looking all around last year in December. It was on closeout at 47k down from 58k with all the goodies. I wanted a 4 wheel drive cause we live in Idaho with a tad bit of snow. I also have to pull a 8500# sailboat outof the water on sandy ramps. I wanted a dually because it would give me more security and more stable which I can tell you it is very stable. I wanted a shortbox with the Mega cab as I would have no room in my garage for a long box Mega. I always like the Cummins engine and people with these have been absoltely in love with them.

I absolutely think this is the best truck I have ever owned. The Cummins is quiet, strong, and torquey. The platform is very stable. The Mega Cab is wonderful. When you look at one fold the rear seat down so you can see how much room there is to haul stuff back there. The short box works fine with a toolbox and an under toolbox aux fuel tank under it giving me 68 gallons. The toolbox I put in doesn't stick up 4 or 5 inches like most. It is about 2 inches up helping with the 5th wheel hookup. I mounted the 5th wheel about 1 1/2 inches to the rear of the axle and it works fine but in retrospect I think I could have put it directly over the axle as I still have plenty of clearance with the trl. I don't need air bags now.

3/4 tons and 1 tons are basically the same pickup with exception of an additional spring in the rear. I don't think you can get a 3/4 with duals but there is very little difference in cost. All the big three are pushing right at the same HP. Chev and Ford I believe are stillo not adding a Jake but the Ram comes standard with it and it is as good as the one in your old big rig.

A dually makes you pay a little more attention going around corners as they stick out like a big potato butt girl. Little tighter in parking spaces but I just find a space away from others anyway and usually take up 1 1/2 spaces to keep people from banging me. The ram has been very tight with little to no rattles and inside it seems to be bigger and laid out better or with RVers in mind with little cubby holes for storage.

I wouldn't let my wife drive the Chev pulling but now except in tight curvy roads she handles it fine but quite frankly I enjoy driving it so much she doesn't get much of a chance to drive. The mirrors works ok where they fold out. I would suggest that you add a back up camera to whatever you buy. They are hard to tell where they are backing into parking spaces (easiest way by far). With the camera you can tell within a couple of inches where you are. I can even hook up my tongue ball sailboat right into and under the ball the first time where you can see it great.

Everyone will tell you they love their rigs as I do. I think they are all good nowdays but I just have a preference now to my Ram the way it is set up. If you can shop at the end of the season you will likely save 10K like i did.View attachment 9646Send a personal msg if you want for any more info.

Last edited by a moderator: