Front landing gear electrical issue

cj11302000

I have a 2009 Sundance 2997BHS. I had an issue early on with the landing gear. A part broke in the gear portion of the landing gear. The problem was fixed under warranty and the motor was replaced. I remember Lippert telling me that the motor put on by Sundance was not powerful enough. Lately, when operating the landing gear...the motor sounds like it's working awful hard and actually runs very slow. It acts like it's working really hard, slows down, and then the fuse blows. I am not running the landing gear all the way up or all the way down...I learned early on not to do that. Anyone have any thoughts on what's causing this?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like you've mentioned, the up and down limits are covered. The only other thing I can guess would be some binding going on somewhere. I wish I could be more help but it's hard to diagnose some of these problems without being right there. Good Luck!

lwmcguir

Check your voltage before and when you are operating the landing gear. If the battery is good and the voltage drops quite a bit, your motor is most likely going to fail. Might want to have a spare on hand. And as Ray noted, be sure there is nothing new that might be binding more than in the past. Good landing gear should be designed to handle some extra torque but sounds like a failure might be eminent.

PUG

Pug
Mine kept blowing the fuse every 30 seconds or so and it was working hard hard. I complained and lippert sent a new larger but slower motor and it has worked fine since. It doesn't bog down or grunt like the old one.

cj11302000

I talked to Lippert and they want me to check voltage under a load. They said that even if you're hooked up to shore power or a tow vehicle...the motor runs off the coach battery...so, he said that a bad battery can cause all kinds of problems. I'm going to check voltage tomorrow and replace battery if necessary. I'll let everyone know what I find out. Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Low voltage was my thought. It happened to me with the slides. Unless you have replaced the battery, the ones the dealers install are not the best quality. If it turns out to be the battery...get a good deep cycle battery.

rsouthall

I am having a landing gear issues as well. I think it is in switch which tends to hang up. I was wanting to use some WD 40 on it but was unsure. Has anyone done that or should I just rewire the switch to an inside location.