Lighting the oven

When trying to light the oven in my 3010 w/ the Magic Chef, I push the know at the Pilot On position, light the pilot, wait then let go. The pilot always goes out.

Changed to a fresh LP tank.

Anything else to check before bringing it in to RV shop?

Bob in Houston

lwmcguir

Make sure the end of the thermocouple that is in the flame is clean. Rub it a bit with a dollar bill and then as the earlier poster said wait a little longer before releasing. Ours takes longer than any previous ones to snap the thermocouple.

Jerry Nelms

Traveler
I had similar problem. When we first bought our unit everything was fine. After 2-3 uses, the pilot would go out and I had difficulty re-lighting. Finely, it went out and would not re-light. I called a local repairmen and we checked it out together and I found through him that behind the front cover is a pilot adjustment. In my situation we adjusted the pilot slightly rich since there was two liyyle play in the adjustment screw, 1/2 turn down it wouldn't light. Since we only use our oven occassionally, we simply turn the pilot off when not in use. This is one of those things that the Magic Chef manual does not show you anywhere nor did mine even talk about a pilot adjustment.

Cleaned the thermocouple w/ a dollar bill which got the flame back but the pilot goes out at a count of 20 on its own.

Jerry can you be more specific about where the pilot adjustment is?

Bob

Jerry Nelms

Traveler
The screws is located on the oven control valve but it is behind the front control panel. To get to the adjustment, I had to first remove all the screws holding the oven in the cabinet. Then pull the entire range forward. Once you slide forward you will find two screws on either side of the front control panel. Remove the knobs and the front panel and you will find the adjustment screwfor the line to the pilot gas, it is located on the port for the small pilot gas line. Adjusting this screw will increase and decrease your gas flow. In my case the adjustment was very small.

If you do not use your oven much it may be air getting into the system. What I do which seems to make the pilot more relyable to light is to light a stove top burner before trying to light the oven pilot. This will normally allow the air in the system to excape any the pilot to stay lit.

Got the service man out today to look at the oven (by the way, make sure Amama understands the Magic Chef is in your RV and runs on propane; you need to be licensed to work on propane). We took it apart and once the front panel had been removed (steel plate behind the knobs), I could tell right away that the oven knob pushed further in when we did a test light. It worked fine with the panel off. A little bending of the front panel with thumbs fixed the front panel restriction.

So, all my lighting problems were do to the pilot lite knob not being pushed in far enough.

Bob in Houston