generator hookup

Bought a Lifan 8500W peak power (7500 W continuous) 62.5 amp generator. It has a female plug-in rated 30 amp, 120/240 W with four plugs. Lifan says if I plug into this, it will more than handle my 2008 Bighorn 36L with two air conditioners. True?
Also, the Bighorn is generator ready, but I don't know where/how to hook the four prong generator into the wires rolled up by the aluminum surround in the from compartment. Of course, I could just plug the generator into the shore power plug on the Bighorn, but it would seem better to be hooked into the front generator-ready wiring...? Thoughts?

jimtoo

Hi Craig and Pam,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I would think that you could use a 50 to 30 adopter and it would work. But I would rather someone that has more experience with generators give you a definite answer. It will not take much time and someone will be here with good information.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

lwmcguir

One item to check if if you can pull the rated power on one side of the generator. Since the coaches aren't 220/240 this can be an issue. I know there are a couple of folks that are really sharp on this stuff that have posted some great info a while back.

hoefler

You need to adapt your 4 wire 50 amp plug to a 4 wire 30 amp plug to utilize the full out put of your generator. Your 50 amp plug has 2 hot leads, 1 common, 1 ground, you have 220 volts, for a total of 100 amps, 50 on each leg. By adapting to a 4 wire 30 amp plug, you still have 220 volts, just 30 amps, for a total of 60 amps, 30 on each leg. If you adapt down to a 3 wire 30 amp plug, 1 hot, 1 common, 1 ground, you tie the 2 hot leads in your 50 amp plug together for a total of 30 amps between both legs. I have a very similar generator, I wired in a 50 amp receptacle. I connected it to the back of the 30 amp receptacle. I can plug my 50 amp cord in, but just have 30 amps to use. Just some numbers to think about: average coffee pot draws 12.5 amps, A/C about 18 amps to start, 9-10 to run, hair dryer 12 amps, micro, 10 -12 amps, water heater 7 amps, converter 5+, you get the picture. Amps * Volts = Watts. If you adapt down to the RV 30 amp you don't just loose 20 amps, you loose 70 amps of available power. These Y adaptors you can buy, don't and will not give your needed 50 amp as they lead you believe, they give you 45-50 amps total. 1 leg will have 30 amp, the other 15 or 20 amp. Depending on how your rig is wired, your A/C may be on the 15 amp leg using this adaptor.

jbeletti

Your absolute best bet is to have an electrician do this work.

Where you plan to physically place the generator when you want to use it will likely determine where the connections to the coach are best to be made.

The gen prep option usually means that you have:
- A sheet metal box for the generator (that you will not need for yours outdoors)
- An electrical transfer switch (that you can use)
- A remote start switch and hour meter (that you likely cannot use)

I'd consider having the electrician wire a "female" receptacle on the outside of the RV and connect that to the generator input side of the automatic transfer switch. Then have him make up a cord that is of the length you desire and gauge required with the proper connectors to mate the generator to the coach receptacle.

Best of luck and go Pro.

Jim

hoefler

I can not agree more about getting a qualified electrician to make yout connections.

But I can not disagree more with the quote below. DO NOT install a female connection on your coach for an input for power!

If you do this, you will need a cord with male connections on both ends. This is asking for someone to get electricuted! If one end is plugged into your power source, the other end will be hot! Yeah, Yeah, don't plug it in until the coach end is connected, but if you have some one with out a clue and helps you, you don't need that risk. They make generator input plugs that can be bought at any electrical supplier, Lowes has one for a 30 amp input on the shelf and a 25' cord to match, both ends are 4 prong twist lock. The input has a concealed male that you plug your female end on your cord into. If it is wired properly with a transfer switch, it will never be hot.

I'd consider having the electrician wire a "female" receptacle on the outside of the RV and connect that to the generator input side of the automatic transfer switch. Then have him make up a cord that is of the length you desire and gauge required with the proper connectors to mate the generator to the coach receptacle.

Best of luck and go Pro.

Jim

jbeletti

hoefler,

I understand what you mean. What I meant was a standard Marinco RV/Marine power receptacle that accepts a shore power cord. I was incorrect to call this a female receptacle.

Thank you for clarifying this.

Jim

Example:
6353EL-B.jpg

hoefler

I am glad we are on the same page, I hate for anybody to get hurt through a misunderstanding.
hoefler,

I understand what you mean. What I meant was a standard Marinco RV/Marine power receptacle that accepts a shore power cord. I was incorrect to call this a female receptacle.

Thank you for clarifying this.

Jim

Example:
View attachment 9654