Brand new buyer with old questions

Two Hands

We are scheduled to pick up our new Bighorn 3055RL at the dealer tomorrow. I really wanted a generator installed, but it seems generator prep had to be done at the factory ie I would have had to order a unit rather than buy off the lot as I did. The other thing we were surprised about was the lack of a factory installed am/fm radio. If I use a portable is there a way I can plug into the DVD/CD sound system?

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Congrats on your new 3055, we sure do love ours and know you will also. The dvd player is actually a receiver also, on ours, with am- fm radio built in and wire to the surround sound speakers.
I plan on getting a gen set from Honda or Yamaha and just put in the back of the truck.

ct0218

We ordered our Mt. Rushmore with the generator prep, and the way they do it at the factory would be tough to duplicate at a dealership. The start switch is on the bedroom wall shared with the washer/dryer, with the main wiring from the generator to the panel concealed almost entirely. As for the stereo, I threw out the receiver/cd player (Memorex I think) when I took delivery. I put in a JVC receiver, dvd changer, satellite receiver and vcr. I chose JVC because they had quality receivers that would fit on the shelves in our entertainment center, Sony and several others did not. I had about $375 total invested, but much better sound than the OEM system. By adding an inverter the receiver could be used when dry camping, but your am/fm range is somewhat inhibited by the lack of an external antenna and the aluminum framing. An antenna could be mounted on the outside wall, and a marine type would be your best bet. The only weak part of my system are the speakers, but they are "acceptable". Because of the way they are mounted refitting may be difficult, but that's another day.

osims

bsims
We bought two honda 2000 generators with the parallel kit. and they work great also very quite. They both fit in the front compartment perfect for storage and traveling

DennisZ

For better FM reception, you can hook up the reciever to the regular TV antenna. My 3055 had a jack under the cabinet the DVD player is in. The extra line from the splitter in the cabinet goes to that jack. Hooked mine up that way and have great reception.

ct0218

That's a good idea for the antenna. We have gotten plenty of stations everywhere we've been, but in more remote areas I'll have to try the coax.