Generator for 2011 Edge M21 to run A/C

pegmikef

I have an Edge M21 with an 11k btu A/C unit. I just bought the Honda eu2000i pair of generators (total of 4kw) because the A/C documentation said to use a minimum of 2.5 kw generator. After reading through the forum I'm not sure this will work. I saw one comment about making the A/C unit "generator ready." What exactly is "generator ready?"

jimtoo

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am sure your Honda's will power your A/C. But I do not know anything about an A/C being "generator ready". Never heard of that,, but maybe someone will jump in and enlighten us if there could be a problem.

Enjoy the forum and your new Edge.

Jim M

PUG

Pug
You bought a pair (2) generators? I think you better talk to an electrician. This could be tricky hooking them up in tanden and still protecting them and your trl/ac. I never heard of generator ready but it must mean properly wiring the ac to the generator/s.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have two 2K genny's and they work great. No problems with the AC.
I assume you have the parallel kit. No electrician needed.

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member
PUG,

The Honda, Yamaha, and Chinese-clone inverter generators can be paralled with no problem. They will phase sync automatically. Parallel connection kits are manufacturer acessories. A pair of Honda eu2000's is possibly the MOST popular set-up for RV portable generators.

pegmikef,

Your pair of generators will easily power your rig. Don't give it a second thought. "Generator-ready" probably refers to a capacitor soft-start kit which I assume is pretty much standard on all RV A/C units.

A single EU2000 is rated for 13.3A. I run my A/C very infrequently (in Alaska) with no problems. I do not run any other appliances such as the fridge (force to gas mode) or microwave at the same time though.

I assume you also have the Honda cable to link the two EU2000 units in parallel operation. If one of your two units is the EU2000 companion it will have a 30A plug. These two units should be more than sufficient to run your A/C continuous.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...tion=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IAN
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...odelname=EU2000i Companion&modelid=EU2000IAN1

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have an Edge M21 with an 11k btu A/C unit. I just bought the Honda eu2000i pair of generators (total of 4kw) because the A/C documentation said to use a minimum of 2.5 kw generator. After reading through the forum I'm not sure this will work. I saw one comment about making the A/C unit "generator ready." What exactly is "generator ready?"

"generator ready" An extra start-up capacitor can be added to the AC unit to allow an easy start with the smaller generators.

pegmikef

Yeah I bought the companion and the parallel cable. One of my main considerations was the weight because I have to be able to lift them in and out of the pick up. Thanks for the info. After reading some of the problems yesterday, I was afraid I might be underpowered. I feel a lot better now.