Advice on converting incandescent lights to LED lights

Hi! Does anybody have advice on converting the 12 volt incandescent interior lights in my little Edge M13 to LED lights? I'd like to do this to save power (apparently they consume about 1/4 the power), run cooler, and extend the life of the bulbs.

I often spend 3 or 4 nights boondocking.

I would prefer to simply change the bulbs rather than replace the fixtures, if that were possible. I'm a bit surprised that Heartland used LEDs for the exterior lights, and incandescent inside.

Thanks from Stan in BC, Canada

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We changed all of our regular bulbs to LED grid type bulb...they come with a self-adhesive back, which you stick to the top of the inside of the light fixture, and a wired plug end just like the bulb you remove. They work great, the light is "different" and a bit of a challenge to get use to, but they use much less electrictiy and stay very cool....check link below...

http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156-002510-281.html

We purchased a quantity and did the whole coach for less than $300...:D

Update on Chinese LEDs

After a 10,000 kilometer caming trip, I ended up replacing most of my Chinese LED lights back to the original incandescent. They all worked as expected when I installed them, but most started to fail after about 10 hours use... Many of the small LEDs in the array stopped working. I'm pretty disapointed with the Chinese ones from virtual village. Also, of the 10 LEDs I bought, 5 were a cold blue color light, and the other half were a weird greenish tinted light.

Stan

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought one of the 9-LED sets from these folks: www.superbrightleds.com The first one failed pretty quick, but they replaced it without a problem. I mounted it next to the stove and reversed the direction of the fixture so that it pointed at the stove. Originally, the PSA held it up inside the fixture, but it's lost it's tack. That's actually a good thing since it now lays on the clear cover angled towards the stove top. We've left it on for hours and there is very little heat build up, unlike the 1141 bulbs. The photo is at night with all other lights off (except for over the dining table) and no flash. Although it doesn't answer all of the concern about lack of light over the stove and the wimpy light in the exhaust hood, it does help.

Unfortunately, the ones from the website above are fairly expensive. Get what you pay for, though.

View attachment 10330

While I'm at it, a note on photos. It may appear that I've got photos for almost everything (I don't) but what I've done is gone and taken them when I read about other people's problems, questions, or the things I've done to my rig. Not trying to show off my photographic skills (got none) or handiwork, but trying to help clarify my own ramblings.

Tumblebug

I am replacing the bulbs with these leds, http://www.rvplus.com/mings-mark-inc-led-natural-white-bulb-160lms-5050125.html
I have used some of them one season and have replaced 6 regular bulbs with the leds. The light appears to be as bright and these leds rotate so you can position them somewhat in a direction. I will eventually replace all the interior 12 volt with these. Even with the discounted price from the above link, they are rather trendy in pricing.

The camera picks up more difference in the light than my eyes.lights 1 dz.jpglioghts 2 dz.jpg

Last edited:

CliffP

Update on Chinese LEDs

After a 10,000 kilometer caming trip, I ended up replacing most of my Chinese LED lights back to the original incandescent. They all worked as expected when I installed them, but most started to fail after about 10 hours use... Many of the small LEDs in the array stopped working. I'm pretty disapointed with the Chinese ones from virtual village. Also, of the 10 LEDs I bought, 5 were a cold blue color light, and the other half were a weird greenish tinted light.

Stan
The LEDs themselves are all currently made in China. I wouldn't buy any without doing my research as there are still good ones and bad ones. Have there been enough posts on LEDs to add a new subcatagory under Electrical?

jimtoo

Hi scottakron,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thanks for the link and information about the LED's.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M