Shackles breaking? Balance your tires.

1231ChaseB

I think the one place, where people are missing the boat, in their concern about the shackles and equalizer's breaking is they are NOT getting their tire's balanced ! A slightly unbalanced tire will hammer away at a suspension mercilessly ! It's true that a tire will usually rot before it wear's out but balancing them really save's on every bit of the suspension , not just the tire's ! But even with that said I'm still gonna get the Dexter EZ flex system because of the grease factor !
ChaseB

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Re: Shackles breaking

Balancing the tires is something we've always done on our trailers...doesn't make sense to NOT balance them...JMHO! We put on the Trailair Center point and had wet bolts installed...so far, so good.

davelinde

Balancing the tires is something we've always done on our trailers...doesn't make sense to NOT balance them...JMHO!

But no RV manufacturers do it and they own the warranty on the frame?
I recently had all my tires off to get new valve stems installed (the other stems would not work with my new TPMS) and asked the tire guy about balancing. He said he could do it, but for a trailer he did not recommend it. Again he said he NEVER balances trailer tires...

Without some actual numbers on this it's hard for me to have an opinion. For sure it's clear what the industry practice is.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

We have always balanced the tires on any coach we have ever had. I installed wet bolts last year..already had the Mor/Ryde suspension. "If it moves grease it....if it spins balance it".

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have always had my trailer tires balanced. One time I took some trailer tires in for balancing and the Goodyear tire guy asked me why. He said the only thing you will notice is a couple of extra loose screws. DUH!
I have pulled my first Bighorn when it was new and not balanced, then after I had the tires balanced. There is a noticeable difference.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I also balance all my tires including the spare always have always will. All my tire guys say why wouldn't you balance them they spin !!

lwmcguir

Balancing the tires is a great time to check the wheel to be sure it is true. Same goes for the tire, great time to find out if it is out of round or way out of balance. With the cost of tires and coaches it certainly is a no brainier as you all have said.

Dennist

atving and camping...

I figured out to balance the tires after I was too tired to drive... got the combo on a staight road and let the little women drive while I took a snooze in the 5er. Wow what a racket from the kitchen (middle kitchen) .... I got to sleep but balanced the rubber the following week.