Landing gear - switch and resettable fuse

davelinde

My landing gear quit on me so I've been reading the forum to get ideas.

I read about a resettable fuse that could be installed? I like that - any idea where to get one?

My issue seems to be a bad switch. Any ideas where to get a new switch... 2 pole momentary contact 30A+ DC exterior? Googling has failed me. I could order a factory replacement I suppose... but I don't think a switch should fail after 2 years - so I really don't want another one of the same thing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, the resettable fuse is called a circuit breaker...automotive type. You can get them at most auto supply houses. They look like a metal fuse. Take the fuse you have and have them match it up to a circuit breaker. I think I would get a little higher amp circuit breaker than a 50 amp. As far as the switch. Other than buying a direct replacement switch, I can't advise you on what you can use. My thoughts are, that 2 years of weather abuse, being outside all the time, what would last any longer. My 2 cts

davelinde

As far as the switch. Other than buying a direct replacement switch, I can't advise you on what you can use. My thoughts are, that 2 years of weather abuse, being outside all the time, what would last any longer. My 2 cts

I just pulled the switch and it's not quite what I expected... though it seems to make sense now that I think of it -- 6 positions. center two are 12V and ground and the top and bottom two are wired crossed to eachother. When it makes the circuit I suppose it is just reversing polarity to reverse the motor. Not sure where to find such a thing, but it should be common.

wrt to 2 year life? I can tell you that my SOB (Some Other Brand) RV lasted 4 years with no issues... so it can be done. I mean, the switch is either rated for exterior use... or it's not. While there are some things I might expect to have a short life and wear out - electrical switches in this kind of low duty cycle application are not one of them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, I agree with Old Cranky, get the breaker.
As far as the switch goes, get hold of Venture, they supply em.
If you sweet talk em, who knows how much a switch might be.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Dave, the link you posted only has 30 amp breakers. Look at Summit Racing, NAPA, places like that or online. You need at least a 50 amp. Did you take the switch apart to find out what went wrong? Did you use a test light to determine where the power loss was? Did you look at the connectors to see if it was just corrosion?

beasleyrl

Dave - if you were in VA, I'd give you both. When Trailair installed my Level Up, they had to disconnect the front switch and I have the circuit breaker to go along with it.

Bob&Patty

There ya go Dave....send Roger a self addressed stamped envelope. Rodger you are mana from heaven for Dave.

davelinde

Dave, the link you posted only has 30 amp breakers. Look at Summit Racing, NAPA, places like that or online. You need at least a 50 amp. Did you take the switch apart to find out what went wrong? Did you use a test light to determine where the power loss was? Did you look at the connectors to see if it was just corrosion?

Well... the fuse in my RV is 30A and replacing a 30A with a 50A doesn't seem too wise. I did pull the switch, it's not burnt, corroded or loose. I have not put a meter on it yet, but it works in one direction but not the other - so I'm betting it's closing in one direction but not the other.

SmokeyBare

Dave,

Might want to read Lippert's recommendations for Circuit Breakers for their Hydraulic pumps.

Link: http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0058.pdf

Per their suggestions...

Due to high amp draws on hydraulic slide-out systems, it may be necessary to upgrade the circuit breaker.
During slide-out operation, the higher amperage requirements on the hydraulic pump unit may cause the system to draw the voltage
down.

This voltage drop increases the amp draw and forces the 50A Auto Reset Breaker to trip and shut the system down. If the
circuit breaker continues to trip, upgrading the 50A breaker to a breaker with a higher amperage rating will solve the issue
without harm to the system. Wiring and breaker sizes are to be supplied by the RV Manufacturer. This applies to systems
with and without individual room controls.

Bob&Patty

Bob is correct.....even a 50 is probably too small. Any low voltage from a weak battery will raise the amperage draw. If you can find a 60 amp use it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the reported flimsy nature of the plastic OEM gear box, using a higher amp circuit breaker or fuse (or plain wire) might allow you to tear the gear box apart if you retract too far and the motor keeps running. With the correct breaker/fuse in there, the thing should open when the motor starts to lag forcing a higher current draw than the safety device will allow. There is a mod on Venture's site for installing limiting switches in the gear mechanism, though, that might be worth looking at.

wdk450

With the reported flimsy nature of the plastic OEM gear box, using a higher amp circuit breaker or fuse (or plain wire) might allow you to tear the gear box apart if you retract too far and the motor keeps running. With the correct breaker/fuse in there, the thing should open when the motor starts to lag forcing a higher current draw than the safety device will allow. There is a mod on Venture's site for installing limiting switches in the gear mechanism, though, that might be worth looking at.

I talked to Venture a couple of months ago about the limit switch mod on their website, and was told it was for their satellite dish aiming product and NOT for 5th wheel landing gear legs. It would probably work if the limit switches don't switch the power directly, but through a 50 amp (or greater) relay. The little microswitches can't handle the landing gear leg currents.

Bob&Patty

Dave, you cant just put a piece of wire in there! Heaven's, you would melt something. There has to be some kind of protection for the wiring. Have you ever "let all the smoke out of a wire"? You dont want to...it would smoke/melt all the wires around it and could possibly take out 1/2 of the wire harness in the coach.

davelinde

Dave, you cant just put a piece of wire in there! Heaven's, you would melt something.

correct and my point exactly... this is the reason I question the validity of replacing a 30A fuse with something higher - fuse sizes are chosen to match the wires. Letting more current flow is usually not the answer to blown fuses.

Detmer

Dave,
Unfortunately you just probably got a bad switch. In the manufacturing process 1000's of switches are produced. To say that all of them are going to last a certain length of time would be difficult. Look at all the things that you buy.Some items last for ever, some not so long. Unfortunately with electronic components that is part of life. (I've been in the electronics repair field for a bit over 30 years now.)
As for the fuse , it done it's job. It protected the rest of the circuit from the defective component. Unfortunately the way they have the fuse wired in the trailer is a pain in the butt. Especially if you have the generator on board. I know I have blown my fuse already-forgot to raise the rear stabilizers and raised the front landing gear. oouch!!
Anyway I have had my 3210 since the summer of 2008 and no problems with the switch. So I would just put another switch in and see what happens. If it breaks again in a year or so then maybe look to find some other type.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know.

Vinny