Height of kingpin base

On a 2011 CY2812, what is the height of the king pin base when the unit is level?

That is, from the ground under the pin to the base of the pin, how many inches as built?

If my question is not clear, who at the factory or CS should I talk to?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to my new unit in September.

jbeletti

I do not believe we are going to be able to answer this one as it's just not a measurement that we'd normally have. Bear in mind also that this measurement will vary depending on options and loading. If you have toys loaded in the garage and if you have a generator built-in, I believe your king pin to ground measurement will be lower than an empty, more lightly optioned unit.

My hope is that other Cyclone owners here on the forum can provide you with their measurements.

Jim

On Edit: For anyone providing this measurement, my sense is that not only will the unit need to be level, but for the OP to use your measurement for comparison purposes, I'm sure he meant to add that the unit be on "level ground" as well.

My AutoLeveling system always levels my unit out, but sometimes I can walk under the pin and other times I can barely crawl under the overhang. All depends on the front to back level condition of the site. So a nice level parking lot or driveway is best for this measurement.

Even better yet, as parking lots and driveways typically have some pitch to them to shed water, would be a concrete floor in a warehouse.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
When shopping for our 5th wheel I measured every brand unit I could, seems 48" was average. Most pin boxes are adjustable within a few inches. I have mine set @ 4'-2" so it pulls level with my 4x4 truck.

PUG

Pug
Just thinking which may be dangerous! If you had the trl parked on level ground and had it leveled and unhooked. If you were to measure from the ground up to the bottom of the trl flat plate that would give you a height to shoot for I believe. Assuming that your truck doesn't squat much (maybe more leafs or air springs needed) then the adjustment of the trk 5th wheel plate height should be about the same as the trl measurement (maybe an inch or so more).

My 09 Ram 1 ton Dually squates about 2 inches with my heavy 3950 on it so I adjusted the trk hitch where the trl is level on level ground. (measured with tape measure front and rear of trl)

Someone go ahead and rag my thought, I am used to being dumped on. I am married.

davelinde

If you had the trl parked on level ground and had it leveled and unhooked. If you were to measure from the ground up to the bottom of the trl flat plate that would give you a height to shoot for I believe.

That is how I plan to do this. The trick is finding some place 30' long and level within fractions of an inch to park...

Finding the amount to factor in for squat of the truck is easier. Measure the height of the tailgate before you retract the landing gear (maybe seeing just a tad of light between hitch/pin) then retract the gear and measure again - the difference is the squat of the truck.

jbeletti

Comebyeranch,

Mike Aplin of the Toyhauler Team checked with Engineering who came back with 48-3/4 inches from bottom of pin to ground on a level coach on level ground. I assume that is unloaded.

Thanks,

Jim

lwmcguir

Just thinking which may be dangerous! If you had the trl parked on level ground and had it leveled and unhooked. If you were to measure from the ground up to the bottom of the trl flat plate that would give you a height to shoot for I believe. Assuming that your truck doesn't squat much (maybe more leafs or air springs needed) then the adjustment of the trk 5th wheel plate height should be about the same as the trl measurement (maybe an inch or so more).

My 09 Ram 1 ton Dually squats about 2 inches with my heavy 3950 on it so I adjusted the trk hitch where the trl is level on level ground. (measured with tape measure front and rear of trl)

Someone go ahead and rag my thought, I am used to being dumped on. I am married.

That is how I determine level on my rig. Then I know how much air I need to run in the bags to keep the TV and the coach level (target is less than 1 inch Nose elevation and TV level when loaded) The regulator holds the pressure in the bags at the set point and away we go with a level rig. I run the air in the CP at 75 DS and 70 CS to keep the sideways tilt level on a level pad. Fifth Airborne runs at 90 to handle the deep cracks. I don't like chucking and don't have any with this setup.

Thanks Jim (and Mike),

That's what I was looking for. Is the King pin itself 5 inches high (bottom of pin up to plate)?

No more questions for a month, I promise.

bill