Axle weight changed/renewed from factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

flameon

We have an 08, 3795 full throttle as do friends of ours and they have received by mail, new axle weight stickers to apply to their unit that would drop the weight rating of the axles:confused:. We have not received any such thing and was wondering if this change is across the board and we just haven't received ours?

Mike Aplin

Please contact Heartland RV's customer service at 877-262-8032 for all clarifications. Take care, Mike

flameon

Talked to Cheryl @ Heartland Cust. Service this morning and they have not heard of this change for the 08's.

MrBill

Talked to Cheryl @ Heartland Cust. Service this morning and they have not heard of this change for the 08's.

OK, that makes no sense at all. I have an '08 3795 and got my sticker two months ago. I called Heartland to get an explanation and they knew right away what I was calling about.

flameon

after my phone call this morning and was told there was no such thing, I received and e-mail from cheryl to call her back, (been out all day) maybe there is something to this?? Have they dropped the weight limit?

MrBill

It basically is due to the tires that used. Mine had 225/75R15 load range D tires that were only rated to carry 2540 lbs each. So they lowered the axle rating from 5200 to 5080 lbs. The new label they're sending out has the lower axle rating. Check your tires to see what load they can carry.

after my phone call this morning and was told there was no such thing, I received and e-mail from cheryl to call her back, (been out all day) maybe there is something to this?? Have they dropped the weight limit?

Yes, the weight limits have dropped do to the 15" tires they used. The tries do not have the load rating to support a loaded trailer. To me its BS, you buy a trailer that can max @ 18k, but cannot carry the weight cause of a insufficient tire size.

flameon

I received an e-mail from Heartland Cust. Service to give them a call and was then told that our trailer was not registered to us, (second owners) and the stickers were mailed to the original owner??? I questioned the dropping of the axle weight limits as this would now drop the gvw limit on the trailer, was told it was something to do with the tire size but would not effect the original gvw limit of the trailer. I could still haul the same weight as before the sticker change! I was also told that I should scale my truck and trailer combination everytime I use it. I haul the same amount of water, provisions for 2 people, 1 quad, fuel & our trusty miniture schnauzer so unless I'm going full time I don't feel that is would be necessary having done it on our first trip, (weight is entered in my log book). Having driven semi's for 20yrs, when you start playing with lower gvw, this usually means lower load capacity?????? What's your thoughts.

dalesws6

Yep its true, I called complaining about blow outs on my 2008 4012 and got David Hilliker, he stated the weight rating has been changed. Isn't this something, you buy a toyhauler to carry a certain load and after you buy it they lower the ratings, seems to me they should be forced to upgrade our trailers to haul what they were rated for not allowed to put a .25 decal on them. I did a search on the NHTSA and it seems quite a few people have complained about the unsafe tires/axles they put on them so the manufacture may be forced to either reimburse or replace with upgrades, lets hope.

flameon

dalesws6, thought there was only a couple of us that felt this way, but when I brought this up to the dealer where we purchased it from, and he is a "Heartland" dealer, he knew nothing about it then and still hasn't been informed about the changes. Don't want to rock the boat but in some ways kinda sounds like false advertising, (just thinking out loud).

dougw

Instead of sending new stickers, they should be sending new tires! Period...

My 2 cents....sorry

Dennist

atving and camping...
Instead of sending new stickers, they should be sending new tires! Period...

My 2 cents....sorry
Your are 100% correct. I just spent 545.00 on Rims and 1200.00 on new tires to put 16" on our 4012! NHTSA is useless! Filed, filed and filed.... we will go another route once we get the paperwork on the whole assembly as

I'm picking up the mounted (and balanced) LT 245/85/16" ribbed tires today! Real rubber produced here in the USA, not china bombs. Oh and that was for 7 new rims and tires, dont forget your spare.

Now to sell the 15" to some lawn maint company with 6 lug axles!

Oh and we cannot wait to tow it with the new 450 King Ranch with the 6.7!!!! Very good buys to be had on line right now. Got it for slightly more than a 350 Lariat locally.

gpshemi

Lost my first PowerMax at 500 miles on madian voyage. Heartland told me "that's the way it goes".
NOT cool....

flameon

when we first bought the trailer (used) we put 7 new tires on as we wanted to start fresh with what we thought were a safe bet but now we are leary everytime pulling it loaded. don't get me wrong, we enjoy our morgage on wheels but it sure takes the enjoyment out of it when your constantly having to take less recreational stuff to enjoy the trailer to it's full potential. yeah getting a set of (7) new tires would be great along with the proper axles that should have come with the trailer as advertised in the first place!

Bub-Ba-Q

I will put my 2 cents in on this. I don't post here often at all and probably am not liked because of my postings either,but so be it. I bought my 4012 in April 09, and in 15 months replaced 22 tires and 2 wheels. These units are not equipped with the proper axles at all. they come with 3 5200lb axles, giving you 15600 lbs of weight. The unit dry 13696, load a few things in and guess what, OVER limit. I replaced my wheels and tires with 16" and Goodyear G614 RST tires load range G, at a cost of almost $4000. I have had 2 of the tires, wheel and hubs come off while pulling the vehicle, thus having to have the axle spindles cut off and new ones welded on along with new brakes. By the grace of god on both instances, they did not crash into on coming traffic.

With such issues on these units and now the manufacturer changing the weight, It is my opinion that they should cover any and all cost associated with axle problems. I have not made a complaint to NHTSA, but think I will at this point.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I bought my 4012 in April 09, and in 15 months replaced 22 tires and 2 wheels. These units are not equipped with the proper axles at all. they come with 3 5200lb axles, giving you 15600 lbs of weight. The unit dry 13696, load a few things in and guess what, OVER limit. I replaced my wheels and tires with 16" and Goodyear G614 RST tires load range G, at a cost of almost $4000. I have had 2 of the tires, wheel and hubs come off while pulling the vehicle, thus having to have the axle spindles cut off and new ones welded on along with new brakes. By the grace of god on both instances, they did not crash into on coming traffic.
Bubba, I'm not disagreeing with you but just pointing out that the 13,696 dry weight of the rig includes about 2500# of pin weight. That actually leaves about 11,200 on the axles. Whats very strange is the fact that you had a problem after having new tires and wheels installed. Could that have been caused by whoever sold/installed the tires & wheels? As you said, thank God there was no accident.

Bub-Ba-Q

Ray,

I understand what you are saying. I replaced my tires and wheels last October. Before that, I would have to replace tires about every 4- 6 weeks. I would not leave with out 3 spares. The first tire/wheel assembly came off before the upgrade and it was on the front drive axle. This last one just happened this past Saturday on the rear passenger size. I also keep up with my unit, the bearings were just repacked and greased last November. After I upgraded my tire and wheels, I have not had one singe tire blow out.
What is also frustrating about the constant tire issue is the amount of damage it caused to my unit. I spent over $5000 dollars in body damage from blown tires.

even if you take the pin weight off of the camper, there till is a problem. The unit is designed to haul "toys" or whatever in the cargo area, then add to that anything you have loaded for a trip. On top of your stuff, add in fresh water if you fill, black water, fuel etc. I only have about 1000lbs of stuff in my cargo area. The problem is as I see it, the unit is under axled period. They have put the extreme minimal amount they could, however, people are running down the road maxing out the axle weight. Theses untis should have a minimum of 6000lb axles, but in my opinion 7000lb would be the best.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I understand now. When you first posted it sounded as if you had issues with the Goodyears as well. I do agree with you though. These heavy rigs should have more or a better margin of capacity. Rate it at say, 18,000 but put on running gear for 20K. Well, hopefully the Goodyear's will make things better for you and you'll have trouble free travel from here on out.

flameon

I don't see that Bubba was complaining about the Goodyears, (as he said "After I upgraded my tire and wheels, I have not had one single tire blow out".) but about the poor quality & load limiting now of the axles that are causing his tire problems that are being remeded with a change of a decal. To reply with "Could that have been caused by whoever sold/installed the wheels & tires", isn't that just grabbing at straws. To have to replace tires every 4-6 weeks is absolutely ludicrous, unless you have controlling shares in Goodyear. Don't think I'll be putting anywhere the 2500# that is advertised for my HL Toyhauler. Do we have to wait till someone gets killed before something is done about these problems after all isn't RVing supposed to be a "Safe & Fun for the Whole Family " with Safety first?

Bub-Ba-Q

So now I guess I am black flagged since the moderators have removed my post so I will post it again.

** balance of post deleted **

From Admin:

William,

I emailed you as to why your post was not approved. It's not okay on this forum then to repost the same thing. Sorry.

Jim
Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.